CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How to use the Hyperterminal program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ser ching

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:14 am     Reply with quote

how u read from it? I use putc() and printf() to write to hyperterminal and getc() to get the character from hyperterminal.
falleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:54 am     Reply with quote

No, I dont talk about writing in PIC. I would like to know where can we fill in a byte, and give the send command to PIC in Hyperterminal. How we do that in HYperterminal??

I only see that when I choose SEND Icon, it bloom out a window, and tell to add the file into it. So what we do with it?
Joan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:21 am     Reply with quote

falleaf wrote:
No, I dont talk about writing in PIC. I would like to know where can we fill in a byte, and give the send command to PIC in Hyperterminal. How we do that in HYperterminal??

I only see that when I choose SEND Icon, it bloom out a window, and tell to add the file into it. So what we do with it?

Hi falleaf:

Use a more specific toll fot that use: Visual Basic or LabVIEW, for example. They give more control about you're trying to sent to COM. What happens when you're sending hexadecimal commands ? .... I think some times ASCII code is not for this kind of use....

Best Regards;
Joan Idea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:15 am     Reply with quote

Nope, I had a basic program to xmit from PC to PIC, but I would like to ask how to xmit with Hyperterminal?
SherpaDoug

Alternative to Hyperterminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:28 am     Reply with quote

I avoid using Hyperterminal. It always give me problems. Instead I use Terminal available free here:

http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:40 am     Reply with quote

falleaf wrote:
Nope, I had a basic program to xmit from PC to PIC, but I would like to ask how to xmit with Hyperterminal?

Hyperterminal has several options for sending files, if that is what you mean.

1) Hook up the two machines through a NULL modem serial cable.
2) Start Hyperterminal on both machines, direct com connection, same speed (example, 38400,8,n,1). I generally pick no-handshake but you could try software (XON/XOFF) or hardware (if your null modem cable is wired correctly).
3) Use the Transfer | Send file menu option. Use the control to navigate to the file you want to send and use Zmodem as the sending method.
4) If the receiving PC does not automatically start receiving the file you can go through the Transfer menu and manually start the receive session.

I use this setup to update software on some old PCs we have setup as equipment test stations that don't have floppy drives or network connections. Works great for pulling off old status files or updating the software.

Re: Alternative to Hyperterminal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug wrote:
I avoid using Hyperterminal. It always give me problems. Instead I use Terminal available free here:

Thanks muchie, I see it easier to use.

Quote:
1) Hook up the two machines through a NULL modem serial cable.
2) Start Hyperterminal on both machines, direct com connection, same speed (example, 38400,8,n,1). I generally pick no-handshake but you could try software (XON/XOFF) or hardware (if your null modem cable is wired correctly).
3) Use the Transfer | Send file menu option. Use the control to navigate to the file you want to send and use Zmodem as the sending method.
4) If the receiving PC does not automatically start receiving the file you can go through the Transfer menu and manually start the receive session.

No, I'm using hyperterminal for PIC communication. That is I would like to send only few bytes, So how can I send? I fill out on a notepad file, and send the file to PIC? For example, pls show me how to send 0xf0 to PIC? Of course, if you send, PIC will receive it. I programmed for PIC and used my own xmit program writen in Basic.
rwyoung

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

No, I'm using hyperterminal for PIC communication. That is I would like to send only few bytes, So how can I send? I fill out on a notepad file, and send the file to PIC? For example, pls show me how to send 0xf0 to PIC? Of course, if you send, PIC will receive it. I programmed for PIC and used my own xmit program writen in Basic.

OK - you will need to create a file with the bytes you want to send.

You say you want to send 0x0f. If you mean the bit pattern 0000 1111 then you will need to use some kind of hex editor to create the file or write a C or Visual Basic (or language of your choice) program to create the file. If you mean to send the characters '0' 'x' '0' 'f' then just use Notepad.

Under the Transfer menu you just pick Send Text File. Just because it says "text file" it doesn't mean it has to contain the alphabet. Hyperterminal will just step throught the file byte-by-byte and send each one. No error corrections. If you have monkeyed with the settings for your terminal and asked it to send extra line-feeds and such, you will need to turn those things off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug wrote:

Well I tried out this terminal and I give it the thumbs down. It wouldn't work with no handshaking. I got it to work a bit between 2 serial ports with RTS/CTS but with none selected and connected to my embedded device it just sits with an hour glass. In my opinion it is crashed and after 3 times in a row I am going to give it the thumbs down.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Here's one that worked just fine. http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

What I was looking for was just a simple terminal that supports the "\a" or bell command. It seems that Hyperterminal is a bit flaky in handling it (some machines it works and others it doesn't, probably version related). This one seems to work.
Joshua Lai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:05 am     Reply with quote

I use hyperterminal to recieve data from PIC, when the data is within the white windows, it is ok.

When I send a lot of data to hyperterminal, the previous data moves up outside the white windows lines by lines. I copy the whole data into notepad and there are many errors.

Why the data is ok inside the white windows and crazy when move up? How to increase the hyperterminal buffer size? Maximum is only 500 lines.
TIMT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:35 am     Reply with quote

I had the same problem with hyperterminal - I could only receive a byte. I switched to using the Serial I/o software that comes with ccs. (Tools/Serial port monitor) this worked fine.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:04 am     Reply with quote

That would be a bug in Hyperterminal. One engineer here claims that he fixed the problem by copying Win2000 version over onto his XP machine.
rwyoung

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Joshua Lai wrote:
I use hyperterminal to recieve data from PIC, when the data is within the white windows, it is ok.

When I send a lot of data to hyperterminal, the previous data moves up outside the white windows lines by lines. I copy the whole data into notepad and there are many errors.

Why the data is ok inside the white windows and crazy when move up? How to increase the hyperterminal buffer size? Maximum is only 500 lines.

Use the "receive text file" command. This logs all incoming bytes to a file. Seems to work just fine, better than trying to cut-and-paste from the window.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:02 am     Reply with quote

Oh ! Thanks a lot.

In windows XP, it is "Capture Text File". It work so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: