CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

MAX7219 LED Driver Help needed...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmeade

MAX7219 LED Driver Help needed...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

I am trying to drive 2 7 segment leds using a 16F877 with a MAX7219 LED Display Driver chip using PICC SPI Drivers. I have done a search of the forum and found 4 references that I have used to accomplish this. I am only getting the decimal points to blink when I turn on the proto-board. My code is below and any help will be greatly appreciated. All I am trying to do in the program is put a number '8' on LED 0.

As you can see in the setup_spi line, I had to use comas and not the | between the Parameters. Why is this? Is that why it is not working?

Code:

#include <16F877.H>                                            // processor include file
#fuses HS,NOWDT,PUT,PROTECT,BROWNOUT,NOLVP,WRT                 // set fuses
#use delay(clock=20000000)                                     // set processor speed 20 MHz

#define max_clk      pin_c3                                    // set pin clock is using
#define max_dout      pin_c5                                    // set pin data in is using
#define max_cs       pin_b2                                    // set pin load/cs is using

output_low(max_clk);                                             // set clock line low
output_low(max_din);                                            // set data line in low
output_high(max_cs);                                             // set load/cs line low
output_float(max_din);                                          // set pin as input

setup_adc_ports(NO_ANALOGS);
setup_psp(PSP_DISABLED);
setup_spi(SPI_MASTER, SPI_L_TO_H, SPI_XMIT_L_TO_H, SPI_CLK_DIV_16);

setup_7219()
{
   // set number of LED displays to use
   output_low(max_cs);                                         // set cs line low
   spi_write(0x0B);                                            // point to the Scan Register
   spi_write(0x05);                                            // send 1, (Two LED Displays 0-1)
   output_high(max_cs);                                        // set cs line high

// set LED intensity to 50%
   spi_write(0x0A);                                            // point to the Intensity Register
   spi_write(0x05);                                            // send 5, (LED 50% brightness)

// set BCD Decoding
   spi_write(0x09);                                            // point to Decode Mode Register
   spi_write(0x03);                                            // decode LED 0 and 1

// turn off test mode
   spi_write(0x0F);                                            // point to Display Test Register
   spi_write(0x00);                                            // turn off test mode
}

main()
{

setup_7219();   

// display a '8' on LED 0
   spi_write(0x001);                                             // point to LED (0) Register
   spi_write(0x08);                                            // send '8'

}
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

The setup_spi() is a function call. It should go inside a routine. The way you have it, the compiler thinks that it is a function prototype, thus the error when you compiled with the "|". Yes it should be "|". You should also have an endless loop in your main to prevent the processor from executing a hidden sleep command. I didn't check your code but I made corrections where I know there were problems.

Code:

#include <16F877.H>                                            // processor include file
#fuses HS,NOWDT,PUT,PROTECT,BROWNOUT,NOLVP,WRT                 // set fuses
#use delay(clock=20000000)                                     // set processor speed 20 MHz

#define max_clk      pin_c3                                    // set pin clock is using
#define max_dout      pin_c5                                    // set pin data in is using
#define max_cs       pin_b2                                    // set pin load/cs is using

setup_7219()
{
   spi_write(0x0B);                                            // point to the Scan Register
   spi_write(0x05);                                            // send 1, (Two LED Displays 0-1)

spi_write(0x0A);                                            // point to the Intensity Register
   spi_write(0x05);                                            // send 5, (LED 50% brightness)

// set BCD Decoding
   spi_write(0x09);                                            // point to Decode Mode Register
   spi_write(0x03);                                            // decode LED 0 and 1

// turn off test mode
   spi_write(0x0F);                                            // point to Display Test Register
   spi_write(0x00);                                            // turn off test mode
}

main()
{
  output_low(max_clk);                                             // set clock line low
  output_low(max_din);                                            // set data line in low
  output_high(max_cs);                                             // set load/cs line low
  output_float(max_din);                                          // set pin as input

setup_psp(PSP_DISABLED);
  setup_spi(SPI_MASTER | SPI_L_TO_H | SPI_XMIT_L_TO_H | SPI_CLK_DIV_16);

setup_7219();   

spi_write(0x001);                                             // point to LED (0) Register
   while(1);

}
cxiong

MAX7219 Does not work
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:56 am     Reply with quote

I have found this post in the forum and I try it, it does not work.
I just does not turn on the LED at all. I use the LDQ-N512RI with
the Max7219. I just need to drive the first 2 digit according to this post.
I modified the code to use my 4Mhz, and pin RC5 to max_din, and max_cs
to pin RC0.

Here is my code:

Code:
#fuses XT,NOLVP                                          // set fuses
#use delay(clock=4000000)                                      // set processor speed 4 MHz

#define max_din      pin_c5                                    // set pin data in is using
#define max_cs       pin_c0                                    // set pin load/cs is using

setup_7219()
{

// set BCD Decoding

// turn off test mode
}

main()
{
  output_low(max_clk);                                            // set clock line low
  output_low(max_din);                                            // set data line in low
  output_low(max_cs);                                             // set load/cs line low
  output_float(max_din);                                          // set pin as input

setup_psp(PSP_DISABLED);
  setup_spi(SPI_MASTER | SPI_L_TO_H | SPI_XMIT_L_TO_H | SPI_CLK_DIV_16);

setup_7219();   

while(1)
   {
         spi_write(0x01);                                            // point to LED (0) Register
    }

}

Did you have your code above working?

max7219
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Here is the latest code I have. I have the code to display 8405 on digit 0-3. It does not display the 8405, it display a.a.a.a. on the LED. and I can't control the intensity of the display by low the the hex under register address: 0x0A.

Here is my code:
Code:
#include <16f877.h>
#fuses XT,NOWDT,NOPROTECT,NOLVP
#use delay(clock=4000000)

#define max_din      pin_c5                                    // set pin data in is using
#define max_cs       pin_c0                                    // set pin load/cs is using

setup_7219()
{
      output_high(max_cs);                                         // set cs line high
   delay_us(1);
   delay_us(1);
      spi_write(0x03);                                            // send 4, (Four LED Displays 0-3)
   delay_us(1);
      output_low(max_cs);                                        // set cs line low

output_high(max_cs);                                         // set cs line high 
   delay_us(1);
   delay_us(1);
      spi_write(0x01);                                            // send 5, (LED 50% brightness)
   delay_us(1);
      output_low(max_cs);                                        // set cs line high

// set BCD Decoding
   delay_us(1);
   delay_us(1);
      spi_write(0x0F);                                            // decode LED 0 - 3
   delay_us(1);

// turn off test mode
   delay_us(1);
   delay_us(1);
      spi_write(0x01);                                            // turn off test mode
   delay_us(1);
}

main()
{
    output_low(max_clk);                                            // set clk line low 
   delay_us(1);
   delay_us(1);
     output_high(max_cs);                                             // set load/cs line high
   delay_us(1);

setup_psp(PSP_DISABLED);
   setup_spi(SPI_MASTER|SPI_L_TO_H |SPI_XMIT_L_TO_H|SPI_CLK_DIV_4|SPI_SAMPLE_AT_END);

setup_7219();   

while(1)
   {
         spi_write(0x01);                                            // point to LED (0) Register
      delay_us(1);
      delay_us(1);
      output_low(max_cs);                                 // set cs line low

// display a '4' on LED 1
         spi_write(0x02);                                            // point to LED (0) Register
      delay_us(1);
         spi_write(0x04);                                            // send '8'
      delay_us(1);

// display a '0' on LED 2
         spi_write(0x03);                                            // point to LED (0) Register
      delay_us(1);
         spi_write(0x00);                                            // send '8'
      delay_us(1);

// display a '5' on LED 3
         spi_write(0x04);                                            // point to LED (0) Register
      delay_us(1);
         spi_write(0x05);                                            // send '8'
      delay_us(1);
    }

}

Any body can help me?
drh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Read the datasheet for the MAX7219 again.
The code for 50% intensity is 0x07.
The part is in shutdown at powerup. Why are you taking it out of test mode?
Use
Code:

spi_write(0x0C);  // shutdown register
   spi_write(0x01);  // normal operation

In your while loop you are setting the CS line high when it should be low and low when it should be high.

try my code, it easy to understand.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:31 am     Reply with quote

#include<18f452.h>
#fuses xt,nowdt,put,noprotect

#define da pin_c0
#define cs pin_c1
#define clk pin_c2

void send_16bit(byte address,byte data)
{
byte i;
#bit carry=0x03.0;
carry=0;
output_low(cs);
for(i=0;i<8;i++)
{
if((address & 0b10000000)==0)
output_low(da);
else
output_high(da);
rotate_left(&address,1);

output_high(clk);
delay_us(50);
output_low(clk);
delay_us(50);
}

for(i=0;i<8;i++)
{
if((data & 0b10000000)==0)
output_low(da);
else
output_high(da);

rotate_left(&data,1);
output_high(clk);
delay_us(50);
output_low(clk);
delay_us(50);
}
output_high(cs);
}

void init_7219()
{
send_16bit(0x09,0xff); //decode
delay_us(100);
send_16bit(0x0a,0x0f); //intensity
delay_us(100);
send_16bit(0x0b,0x07); //scan limit
delay_us(100);
send_16bit(0x0c,0x01); //shutdown
delay_us(100);
send_16bit(0x0f,0x00); //display
delay_us(100);
}

main()
{
int i,j;
set_tris_c(0x00);
init_7219();
delay_ms(1000);

while(1){
for(i=1;i<=8;i++){
for(j=0;j<=9;j++){
send_16bit(i,j);
delay_ms(200);
}
}
}
}

Max7219
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:51 am     Reply with quote

I want to display the result of ADC result into the 7-segments in decimal,
example 0-255.

How do I separate these numbers such as one, tenth, hundredth out from
the ADC result and display them in the 7-segments.

I have been searching for a very simple way (theory) how to do it, I can't
one that simple enough for me to understand.

Any body give me a direction or a simple theory (explanation) how to do that?

Thanks...
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Well the simplest way would be to divide by 10. The remainder would be the digit.

Code:

int8 number,digit1,digit10,digit100;

// Get the number
  number = get_adc();

// Compute the 1's
  digit1 = number % 10;
  number /= 10;

// Compute the 10's
  digit10 = number % 10;
  number /= 10;

// The rest is the 100's
  digit100 = number;

Last edited by Mark on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I just want clear

example, the adc result is equal to 123

is the above code which divide by 10 will work?

my calculation is

123 / 10 = 12 remainder 3 (3 is the digit1)

123 / 10 = 12 remainder 3 (so the digit10 is also 3?)

Can you explain little bit?

Thanks..
treitmey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:22 am     Reply with quote

He is using the /= so the result is the previous result divided by 10
result=123/10=12 R3
result=12/10 =1 R2
result=1/10 = 0 R1

your interested in the remainder

Its like hacking off a digit at a time. hack off 3 then 2 then 1
cxiong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

How do I display the ds1307 (hh:mm) into the 7-segment using max7219?

What is the best way to do it? Theory?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Can not display the hour and minutes digits into 7-segment.

My questions are:

1. I can not initialize both of the ds1307 and max7219, I think they are
conflict when I run the init_7219(); and the init_ds1307();
in my main code because both use the RC3, RC4 pins.

2. I can not think of a way to single out the following min into minh
and minl, and single out the hrs into hrh and hrl so I can display
their individual digit into their proper location on the 7-segments.

Quote:
min = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_MINUTES_REG];
hrs = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_HOURS_REG];

I would be great appreciate if anyone can help.

I welcome any input or suggestion..

Thanks...........

Here is my main.c code
Code:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
//   The LOAD/CS of the MAX7219 was LOW Active
//
//
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#include <18F452.h>
#device ADC=10
//#use i2c(Master, SDA=PIN_B7, SCL=PIN_B6)
#use i2c(Master, SDA=PIN_B4, SCL=PIN_B3)
#use rs232(baud=9600, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7)
#use i2c(Master, SDA=PIN_c4, SCL=PIN_c3)

#include <max7219_ds1307.c>
#include <ds1307.c>

unsigned char hrh,hrl,minh,minl;

void init_ds1307()
{
   // Put some date and time values into the global date & time array.
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_SECONDS_REG] = 0; // 0 seconds
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_MINUTES_REG] = 14; // 10 minutes
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_HOURS_REG] = 8; // 8 AM
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_DAY_OF_WEEK_REG]= 0; // Skip this.
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_DATE_REG] = 04; // 3 rd
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_MONTH_REG] = 01; // Jan
   gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_YEAR_REG] = 05; // 2005

// Write these values to the DS1307, for testing.
   ds1307_set_date_time();

}

//*********  Main Program Start Here **********/////

void main()       
{

int second;
   int   minute;
   int hours;
   int dates;
   int months;
   int year;

char sec;
   char min;
   char hrs;
   char day;
   char date;
   char month;
   char yr;

init_ds1307();

setup_adc_ports( ALL_ANALOG );
   setup_adc( ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL );

output_low(max_clk);                                       // set clk line low     
     output_low(max_din);                                       // set data line in low    
     output_high(max_load);                                     // set load/cs line high    
   output_float(max_din);                                     // set pin as input

setup_spi(SPI_MASTER|SPI_L_TO_H |SPI_XMIT_L_TO_H|SPI_CLK_DIV_4);

init_7219();                                     // Initialize MAX7219  Value

hrh =0;
      hrl =0;
      minh=0;
      minl=0;

write_time(hrh,hrl,minh,minl);

while(1)
   {

// turn off test mode
         output_low(max_load);                                       // set load line LOW 
      spi_write(0x0C);                                   // shutdown register                                           
      spi_write(0x01);                                   // normal operation                                           
         output_high(max_load);                                      // set load line high

ds1307_read_date_time();

// Get these into variables with shorter names, so I can
      // put them into printf more easily.
      sec = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_SECONDS_REG];
      day = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_DAY_OF_WEEK_REG];
      date = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_DATE_REG];
      month = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_MONTH_REG];
      yr = gca_ds1307_regs[DS1307_YEAR_REG];

}

}

And here is my include file max7219_ds1307.c
Code:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////                             max7219_ds1307.C                              ////
////                 Driver for Max7219 (8-bit 7-segment display        ////
////                                                                    ////
////  init_7219()   Must be called before any other function.           ////
////  write_dig(a,b,c,d)  Will write the number (char) to digit 1-4     ////
////                      The following have special meaning:           ////
////                      hrh = 1st digit                                  ////
////                      hrl = 2nd digit                               ////
////                      minh = 3rd digit                                ////
////                      minl = 4th digit                                 ////
////          ** Digits are order from left to right                                                          ////
////                                                   ////
////

#define max_clk      pin_c3                                       // set pin clock is using
#define max_din      pin_c5                                       // set pin data in is using
#define max_load     pin_c0                                      // set pin load/cs is using

void init_7219()                                        
{
      output_low(max_load);                                        // set load line LOW             
      spi_write(0x1B);                                             // point to the Scan Register    
      spi_write(0x03);                                             // send 4, (Four LED Displays 0-3)   
      output_high(max_load);                                      // set load line high

output_low(max_load);                                       // set load line LOW   
      spi_write(0x1A);                                             // point to the Intensity Register    
      spi_write(0x05);                                             // send 5, (LED 50% brightness)    

// set BCD Decoding
      spi_write(0x19);                                            // point to Decode Mode Register   
      spi_write(0x0F);                                             // decode LED 0 - 3    

}
void write_time(unsigned char hrh,unsigned char hrl, unsigned char minh, unsigned char minl)
{
   // dig1
      spi_write(hrh);                                            // send '1'       
   output_high(max_load);

// dig2
      spi_write(0x02);                                            // point to LED (0) Register       
      spi_write(hrl);                                            // send '1'       
   output_high(max_load);

// dig3
      spi_write(0x03);                                            // point to LED (0) Register       
      spi_write(minh);                                            // send '7'       
   output_high(max_load);                     

// dig4   

spi_write(0x04);                                            // point to LED (0) Register       
      spi_write(minl);                                            // send '7'       
   output_high(max_load);                     
   delay_ms(4);
}

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:11 am     Reply with quote

My questions are:

Quote:

Thanks...........

Here is my main.c code
Code:
//
//
//

#include <18F452.h>
#device ADC=10
#use i2c(Master, SDA=PIN_B4, SCL=PIN_B3)

#include <ds1307.c>

void init_ds1307()
{

ds1307_set_date_time();

}

void main()       
{

int second;
   int   minute;
   int hours;
   int dates;
   int months;
   int year;

char sec;
   char min;
   char hrs;
   char day;
   char date;
   char month;
   char yr;

init_ds1307();

output_low(max_din);                                       // set data line in low    
     output_high(max_load);                                     // set load/cs line high    

hrh =0;
      hrl =0;
      minh=0;
      minl=0;

while(1)
   {

// turn off test mode

ds1307_read_date_time();

}

}

Code:
////                             max7219_ds1307.C                              ////
////          ** Digits are order from left to right                                                          ////
////

#define max_clk      pin_c3                                       // set pin clock is using
#define max_din      pin_c5                                       // set pin data in is using
#define max_load     pin_c0                                      // set pin load/cs is using

void init_7219()                                        
{
      output_low(max_load);                                        // set load line LOW             
      spi_write(0x1B);                                             // point to the Scan Register    
      spi_write(0x03);                                             // send 4, (Four LED Displays 0-3)   

spi_write(0x1A);                                             // point to the Intensity Register    
      spi_write(0x05);                                             // send 5, (LED 50% brightness)    

// set BCD Decoding
      spi_write(0x19);                                            // point to Decode Mode Register   
      spi_write(0x0F);                                             // decode LED 0 - 3    

}
void write_time(unsigned char hrh,unsigned char hrl, unsigned char minh, unsigned char minl)
{
   // dig1
   output_high(max_load);

// dig2
   output_high(max_load);

// dig3
   output_high(max_load);                     

// dig4   

output_high(max_load);                     
   delay_ms(4);
}

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:12 am     Reply with quote

My questions are:

Quote:

Thanks...........

Here is my main.c code
Code:
//
//
//

#include <18F452.h>
#device ADC=10

#include <ds1307.c>

void init_ds1307()
{

ds1307_set_date_time();

}

void main()       
{

int second;
   int   minute;
   int hours;
   int dates;
   int months;
   int year;

char sec;
   char min;
   char hrs;
   char day;
   char date;
   char month;
   char yr;

init_ds1307();

hrh =0;
      hrl =0;
      minh=0;
      minl=0;

while(1)
   {

// turn off test mode

ds1307_read_date_time();

}

}

Code:
////

void init_7219()                                        
{

// set BCD Decoding

}
{
   // dig1
   output_high(max_load);

// dig2
   output_high(max_load);

// dig3
   output_high(max_load);                     

// dig4   

output_high(max_load);                     
   delay_ms(4);
}

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:16 am     Reply with quote

I am sorry for the tripple post, every time I click the submit button, it
show an error, I thought it did not successful, so I did click it 3 times and it display the same message 3 times.

Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: