CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

TRIAC Flickering problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronik19

TRIAC Flickering problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:34 am     Reply with quote

Dear All,

I am trying to make a new triac switch using an optocoupler and TRIAC. Please refer to the attached picture.

http://postimg.org/image/x3ok52vkd/

I am trying to interface the PIC micro to control the duration of the on and off. But first I am trying the power hardware before I move to the software and when I apply 5V to the optocoupler the lamp switch on 100% ... so far so good!

But when I remove the 5V, the lamp starts to flicker fast and when I measure the voltage from teh output of the TRIAC to neutral I found 163VAC. The lamp power is 50W and the TRIAC is 1A.

Can someone tell me what coulc be the problem. From my knowledge when you switch of the input of the optocoupler the lamp must switch off. right? Thanks for your help and support as always.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:05 am     Reply with quote

Nothing to hold the TRIAC off. You need a resistor from the gate to the bottom, to prevent 'self commutating' (which is what you are seeing). It also depends on the power factor of your load. Though a simple resistive lamp ought to be pretty neutral, it is surprising how often either capacitance or inductance is present in the circuit (wound filament lamps often have quite noticeable inductance). Honestly I really would suggest doing the design another way. TRIACs are a really bad way of doing almost anything!. Individual SCR's are always better, and even better GTO SCR's or MOSFET's. 99.9% of the interference problems in domestic electronics are caused by TRIAC based circuits.....
aaronik19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:14 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Ttelmah for your feedback. So for mosfet I found the following. I am posting the link for others as well to help them:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog/controlling-an-ac-load-with-a-mosfet.518/

What do you think?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:10 am     Reply with quote

As a further comment to this, the two MOSFET's in series approach given slightly further down the thread, is the basis of many of the AC/DC SSR units being sold. Smile

Going even more ingenious, you can use zero crossing on this, and can do the opposite of a TRIAC, turning 'on' at the zero point, then 'off' mid cycle. This is what is needed (or a GTO thyristor that can also be turned off like this), to control capacitive loads.
asmboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
to control capacitive loads.

or you can skip the zero cross detector -- put an appropriate stiff TVS in parallel with the MOSFET and then PWM drive the gate at a base frequency more than 100 times the line frequency, and use a bridge with a PIV rating 50% higher than the mains peak-2-peak voltage

don't forget the L-C switch garbage suppressor though. People in the area of the modulator might like to listen to lowband AM radio ;-))
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 am     Reply with quote

And it is amazing what a good transmission aerial your house wiring makes!.... Evil or Very Mad
aaronik19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:58 am     Reply with quote

To continue discuss this topic..I want to ask you, is it possible to drive ac load with two mosfets in series driven by optocoupler? I searched on google and saw many forums which says that mosfets are for dc not ac.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 am     Reply with quote

That's the point about the two MOSFET's in series.

Each MOSFET can only control current in one direction. However use two in series and you can switch current flowing each way.

As I said, this is the basis of some of the AC/DC SSR's.

If you look for a 'random turn on SSR', this has all the high voltage parts, and the isolation already built for you, and is a far safer way to go, than anything involving actual mains circuitry....

Have a look at this:

<http://www.crydom.com/en/tech/newsletters/solid%20statements%20-%20ssrs%20switching%20types.pdf>

and consider using a suitable SSR.
aaronik19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:39 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, I came across this as well. I am posting this for more reference. It is for AC Signal only since it can handles only 0.12A at 380VAC

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solid-state-relays/7085459/
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

hmm they bring the center tap out labelled 'DC' so you could use it on DC one would think....

There's bound to be a few apnotes about them. Nice to interface to PIC as it's optocoupled and PIC can direct drive it.

Jay
Mike Walne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

What I've gleaned from the data sheet:-

The switching times are in the ms region.
So you can only think in terms of slow speed control.
PWM type operation (dimming) is probably out of the question.

The DC current rating is twice the AC one.
Presumably you take the DC out via the centre tap.
That way your only passing the current through one MOSFET.

Mike

They're not showing much detail on how the MOSFET is driven.
I'd guess it's a PV diode (or few), hence the speed, or lack of it.
asmboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

are your lamps filament or led ?
----------------------------------------------
what POWER level :: Volts and AMPs please- when fully ON.
-----------------------------------------
-do you have PRIOR experience with designing AC dimming circuits?
----------------------------------------
because the circuit discussion so far makes me nervous that answer number
3 is no ...... Sad Sad

Last edited by asmboy on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Then there's the KISS way of PWM 'light'. Use a PIC, mosfet and '12 volt' LEDS. They are EASY to control, cheap and SAFE !!! Anything with 'mains' power HAS to be treated with the utmost of respect. If getting zapped doesn't kill you, whacking your head on the table across the room sure hurts. BTDT.

Jay
gpsmikey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
Then there's the KISS way of PWM 'light'. Use a PIC, mosfet and '12 volt' LEDS. They are EASY to control, cheap and SAFE !!! Anything with 'mains' power HAS to be treated with the utmost of respect. If getting zapped doesn't kill you, whacking your head on the table across the room sure hurts. BTDT.

Jay

Yeah, I miss the old days of playing with the old tube radios with hundreds of volts wandering around in there. Those could certainly convince the unwary to take up management or accounting Twisted Evil

mikey
aaronik19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Hi all, continued to make some more experiments and i built the attached circuit using IRF740 Mosfets.

http://postimg.org/image/wwa7bebl3/

The circuit worked perfectly and when i replaced 1k resistor and used a pot to dim, the filament dims accordingly and perfectly. The only issue is that the mosfets become very warm.

I would like to test this circuit using dimmable led to see the result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: