CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Re-setup of SPI cause problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortenc

Re-setup of SPI cause problems
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 am     Reply with quote

Hello clever forum,

I have found a strange thing about the SPI setup.
For safety reasons I always re-setup my TRIS and special functions on every program turnaround time. This include the SPI function.
However this gives problem for me because the re-setup of the SPI causes deactivating SPI and re-activating SPI.
Processor PIC18F4520

Code:
setup_spi(spi_slave |spi_l_to_h | SPI_SS_DISABLED);

gives the asm list file:
Code:
04E0:  BCF    FC6.5
04E2:  MOVLW  25
04E4:  MOVWF  FC6
04E6:  MOVLW  00
04E8:  MOVWF  FC7

The first ASM line is "BCF FC6.5" this disables the SPI, resulting the I/O to be a normal output in few uSec.
The result of this is that the DO (data out) is disturbed.

Why is the compiler made like this?

I think it's always good practice to make such re-setup in case of corrupted registers no matter using BOD on the processor.
FvM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is the compiler made like this?
Either if this behaviour serves a purpose or if it don't - it most likely won't be changed now for simple compatibility reasons. Take it as is and configure the SFRs according to your ideas.

Quote:
I think it's always good practice to make such re-setup in case of corrupted registers.
I don't see a particular reason to expect corrupted registers in this case, otherwise you have to expect anything possibly wrong.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 am     Reply with quote

What the line does, during the disabled period, is completely up to you. If your SPI idles high, then simply set the line high, _before_ calling setup_spi the first time. When the SPI is disabled, the value latched in the output register, is what the line goes to.
As for why the compiler does this, it has to. There are errata, on quite a lot of PICs, covering not being able to configure the MSSP while it is enabled, and even on the ones without this, changing mode with the peripheral enabled, _will_ result in spurious signals on the output lines.
The 'fully safe' way to work, is to resistively bias the clock line to it's idle state, and program the line as an input (the default on boot up). This way there will be no extra clocks, either on initial power up, or when reprogramming the peripheral.
It is 'arguable', whether this actually adds safety. In some cases changing registers inreases the probability of errors. The 'better' way, would be to add external hardware monitoring the functionality of the whole system, and if this shows a fault, trigger a complete restart (external hardware watchdog). For some high reliability applications, this is required, but reprogramming registers uneccessarily, is deprecated in such systems...
YPYMATYC

Best Wishes
Mortenc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Ttelmah, (you are clever)

I will take your good advice into account.
However in this project I have solved the problem by moving the re-setup to another place in the program, so I only make the re-setup after the whole package is sended. (I send 5 bytes with 1 byte each program cycle).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: