CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Can you suggest the WARP-13 programmer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Turnip

Can you suggest the WARP-13 programmer?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

Hello all -

I have exclusively been using the 16F877 (and 16F873) PICs with MPLAB and the PCM compiler, and I program these PICs using the ICD. By disconnecting the 4 or 5 connections to the ICD hardware and adding a pullup, I then use these parts in stand-alone applications. I would now like to work with other PICs, and will need a programmer. Is the WARP-13 a good one to use? The price seems reasonable, it can handle the parts I am planning to use, and it can be integrated into MPLAB. Am I missing anything?
Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Bill

Re: Can you suggest the WARP-13 programmer?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

<font face="Courier New" size=-1>:=Hello all -
:=
:= I have exclusively been using the 16F877 (and 16F873) PICs with MPLAB and the PCM compiler, and I program these PICs using the ICD. By disconnecting the 4 or 5 connections to the ICD hardware and adding a pullup, I then use these parts in stand-alone applications. I would now like to work with other PICs, and will need a programmer. Is the WARP-13 a good one to use? The price seems reasonable, it can handle the parts I am planning to use, and it can be integrated into MPLAB. Am I missing anything?
:= Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.
:=Bill

Yes, the Warp13a is excellent. Jim Robertson allows you to do your own firmware upgrades too so it's easy to keep up to date.
I use the in-circuit programming feature for code development together with PCW. This feature seems to be provided for final programming of the PIC on the target board rather than for code development.
I use two diodes, one in series with the programming voltage (needed because this line would leave the PIC reset after programming otherwise) and the other in series with a 10k pullup on the programming pin to prevent the programming voltage appearing on the +5V rail when power is inadvertently left off, the two diode cathodes joined at the pin.
Seems to work better with 10k pulldowns on RB6 (clock) and RB7 data).
Also I power the target circuit independently rather than take +5V from the Warp.

Perhaps I'm missing something - is it better to use ICD or bootloader together with MPLAB istead for code development?

Regards
Kenny
</font>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

YES!! It works great for me, and Jim is an outstanding guy. He has helped me in the past wikth early adoption on new PIC chips, before he was doing a new firmware release. Also, Peter Anderson in Maryland is his main US rep, and he carries parts for upgrades. I don't know of a better programmer - especially for the $$.

JC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Yes!! I upgraded mine a while back to add the 18 series capability and the new high speed mod and it works great for both...zero problems.

Dave

:=Hello all -
:= I have exclusively been using the 16F877 (and 16F873) PICs with MPLAB and the PCM compiler, and I program these PICs using the ICD. By disconnecting the 4 or 5 connections to the ICD hardware and adding a pullup, I then use these parts in stand-alone applications. I would now like to work with other PICs, and will need a programmer. Is the WARP-13 a good one to use? The price seems reasonable, it can handle the parts I am planning to use, and it can be integrated into MPLAB. Am I missing anything?
:= Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.
:=Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:41 am     Reply with quote

:=Hello all -

Not missing anything at all!

FWIW, if you don't use MPLAB to actually develop the code, you now don't need MPLAB at all.

My situation is that I use Ultraedit to compiler - much nicer than MPLAB. I've linked Ultraedit into the programmer controller, so I compile with a keystroke and program with one too.

It's even got those 5 wires you need (Vdd, Vss, MCLR, B6 and B7) on the board on a molex connector, which really helped me (until someone told me that Surface Mount was the work of the Devil, totally unsuitable for development work - despite the fact that hadn't stopped me for 3 years before - and we've now got to do everything through hole with no ICSP facility), because I could just plug in the lead at both ends, and go.

Definitely worth it IMO.

I was "forced" into using it when we couldn't get 16LF876's, but only the 876A part, which at the time, Picstart Plus didn't support.

Pete.

Re: Can you suggest the WARP-13 programmer? Gracias!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone!!!

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: