CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Specs on PSU included with 16f877a development kit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spasticteapot

Specs on PSU included with 16f877a development kit?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

A while back, I obtained a 16F877A development kit, but have actually yet to use it. (It was a gift, if you were wondering as to why I spent several hundred dollars on a devkit). I've since lost the power supply, and have never actually used it. (So sue me, I had finals, and then caught pneumonia.)
To cut to the quick, I'm a complete newbie to programming in general. I'm in FIRST robotics; seeing as how I have good reason to actually learn how to program the silly things, I dusted it off. I own numerous spare wallwarts; however, I don't know the voltage that it puts out.
If I'm not mistaken, the onboard regulator (LM340T5, if I read it properly) is for five volts. Assuming this, the circut probbably will work fine with nine volts; I have a 9v 300mA psu that should work. Should the outside of the power input jack be negative, or positive?
Thanks,
Spasticteapot.
JBM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

I have the 18F452 kit and original PSU, and the centre is positive, outside is negetive. I assume the 16F877A kit is identical.

(on a side note, this PSU is rated at 12V 400mA, but 9V 300mA will be fine)

-JBM
Spasticteapot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

JBM wrote:
I have the 18F452 kit and original PSU, and the centre is positive, outside is negetive. I assume the 16F877A kit is identical.

(on a side note, this PSU is rated at 12V 400mA, but 9V 300mA will be fine)

-JBM

Much thanks. I'm new to microcontrollers, and need all the help I can get.

Dumb question, though:

Can the included in-circut programmer be used with standard PIC microcontrollers?
Also, will USB to paralell port adapters work with the numerous designs for simple paralell-port PIC programmers floating about?
JBM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, the CCS ICD-U40 (which is what i assume you have) will prgram (virtually) any PIC. It can't handle PIC12s, or some of the bleeding edge chips that are hot off the production line, but for all intents and purposes (apart from mine, so it seems) it will be great. Have a look at the FAQ on the CCS site here for how to connect up the programmer to your own circuit. It's pretty easy (once you've figured out which way you're looking at the diagram ;) )

I've never used a USB-Parallel converter, or a home-brew PIC programmer. I would assume the answer is yes, it probably will work, but from what i've seen online, most of these programmers don't support some of the more modern chips. If you have an ICD-U40, then you probably shouldn't need to look down that route (unless your needs are very specific, like running linux).

-JBM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: