CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Incorrect Device ID at 5VDC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjanick

Incorrect Device ID at 5VDC?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

ICD-U40 firmware version 1.29
PIC16F87

I've been tracking down a strange occurrence which has got me stumped. On a blank chip I can program no problems, but when I read the device ID it comes up Device ID: 0000. I thought it was a power supply issue so I tried powering the PIC from the ICD (5VDC jumper). This didn't work. I even tried populating a separate board with just the PIC and the MCLR pull up ... still no go. The only way I get it to reliably see the correct device ID (0725) is if I power the pic at between 2.5 - 2.89VDC. Above the Device ID is 0000. Below the ID can be 0000 or some other number (ie 0125).

Configuration Fuses have everything off. (ie. NOPROTECT, NOCPD, NOWRT, etc ...) So I'm not really sure what to think. I thought supplying more voltage makes programming more stable ... or at least allows a Bulk Erase of the PIC.

PIC has an 03 date code, but I asked Microchip and they said they have not heard of such an issue.
Haplo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

Have you tried reading the DeviceID in the code, running at 5v? If this returns the correct value it will mean there is a problem with ICD.
ninjanick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by in the code? I read the Device ID using the Advance Menu in the ICD.exe program. I can't read the chip at 5VDC after I program it. ICD.exe can't read the target PIC. The only way I can write to the chip is if I do a chip erase at 2.8VDC and another at 5VDC. Then I can read the target PIC and write to it.
Haplo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Take a look at this post on how to read the device ID in the code:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31536
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:22 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

If You have Revison 03 Chipy call Microchip again, they have a complete
bad batch with rev 03!!

I was searching for a thermal problem in a rather large project with PICS failing from time to time. Everything pointed to a software problem, after searching hardware and software I called the local Microchip Rep and he told me Yes its a known problem with Rev 03 !!!!

This chips fails sometimes at temperatures below 40° C.

best regards

Andreas
ninjanick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Andreas,
I called my local Microchip rep and they don't have any record of problems with 03 data code chips. But I have seen some issues on the forums where people were complaing about 03 date code chips.

Haplo,
I don't have an RS232 chip to read out the data registers for the Device ID. I will try to acquire one, but the Device ID is read successfully on a blank chip at 5VDC and a programmed chip at 2.8VDC.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have an RS232 chip to read out the data registers for the
Device ID. I will try to acquire one.

You're using a 16F87. According to the data sheet, the Config Bits
(which contain the Device ID) can only be read by a Programmer.
Example: PicStart-Plus. This means you can't read them with code.

The example shown in the link above was for the 18F series of PICs.
With those chips, you can read the Device ID by using C code.
ninjanick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

Ok scratch that ... I mean the way I've been programming them seems pretty reliable. I will have to order a new batch and see if 04 date code chips behave the same or differently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: