CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB Bootloader Trouble.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAM2014

USB Bootloader Trouble.....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been using the CCS-supplied USB Bootloader with a PIC 18F2550 for a couple of years, but haven't done anything with it lately. The other day I made a minor modification to the code (to change the input pin used to trigger the bootloader), but now Windows 7 has a problem finding a driver to use with the USB Bootloader. Under the Device Manager, listed under 'other devices I see 'CDC Bootloader' with an error "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)". When I try to 'Update Driver', and point to the directory where the CCS USB drivers are located (C:\Program Files\PICC\Drivers\NT,2000,XP,VISTA,7), I immediately get the error "Windows could not find a driver for this device....".

It seems that Windows 7 suddenly does not think that the 'normal' CCS USB driver is an appropriate fit for the USB bootloader.

Compiling with v5.050 file.

Ideas?

Jack
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

The other day I made a minor modification to the code (to change the
input pin used to trigger the bootloader), but now Windows 7 has a
problem finding a driver to use with the USB Bootloader.

What happens if you put the code back the way it was ?
Does it then start working again ?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Are you sure you are pointing at the driver for the newer bootloader, and have compiled with the new code completely?.

Yes, the VID (vendor ID) has changed on the bootloader. The 'old' bootloader used 0x461, which was a Microchip VID. The new one uses 0x2405, which is CCS. They supply drivers for both. In the 'NT,2000,XP,VISTA, 7, 8, 10' directory, there is a driver for ID 2405, and in the 'OLD_NT, 2000,XP, VISTA, 7' directory, there is one for ID 461. The new ID is _required_ for use with W10, which required drivers to be 'signed', and CCS (obviously), could not 'sign' a driver for a MicroChip ID.....

The new driver does work, with the new code. My guess would be, that you are perhaps loading the 'old' descriptor file (or have your own version of this with the name modified to suit you perhaps), in which case the VID won't match.

It was changed at about the launch of W10, so a year or so ago.
JAM2014

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

Hi PCM and Ttelmah,

No, the code does not work when I revert to a previous version of the bootloader, so it's a more systemic issue such as the VID change. This is also a new PC, and some files may not be in their original locations, so I suspect I've got a mismatch somewhere.... I've got to dig into the code more closely now and make sure that everything is properly aligned!

Thanks for helping to focus my efforts!

Jack
JAM2014

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,

A complete rebuild of the Bootloader using all current files has solved my problem!

I have some extensive modifications in the actual bootloader (ex_usb_Bootloader.c), so I was reluctant to replace that originally.... Once I got the basic bootloader working again, I added all my changes into the new file to restore my custom functionality. BTW, I use a program called Beyond Compare which, IMHO, should be in every programmers toolkit! This program allows super fast text-based comparisons of source files, and allows left <-> right syncing of text between files. The task to update the new bootloader files with my changes would have been daunting without Beyond Compare!

I use the CCSBootloader.exe to upload .hex files to my target boards. It's a quasi-command line type program, so I wrote a VB6 'front-end' application that provides a GUI interface. This approach provides a semi-civilized code updating experience for my customers Very Happy

Jack
JulioGM

Help with Bootloader
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Jack!

I am starting with usb bootloader on pic 18f4550, but I'm with a lot of problems, could you please help-me giving all the basic files that are necessary to make bootloader useful?
Cause my CCS folders doesn't have the drivers, and I can't find "CCSBootloader.exe", could you send me all this?
My e-mail: julioghigiarelli@hotmail.com

Sorry for my bad english!

JĂșlio
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

There are two sub-directories on the 'drivers' directory that contain the drivers (only one on older compilers). For different Windows versions.
How old is your compiler?. The CCSBootloader comes with modern compilers. Ask CCS for it.
JulioGM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi!
I am using CCS IDE version 4.078.
I swear that is not subfolder on my driver folder!
Could you please compact these folder and send me by email?
And does my version comes with CCSBootloader?
Julio
JulioGM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hi!
I have already installed CCS version 5.061 and it comes with all the files that I have asked for, so I will try to use it and if I got some errors I come back here!
Thanks!
Julio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: