CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PWM and Quartz Halogen bulb life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SherpaDoug

PWM and Quartz Halogen bulb life
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:44 am     Reply with quote

I have a PWM circuit driving some quartz halogen bulbs. The bulbs are rated 1000 hours but they are only lasting 10 to 20 hours.
The bulbs are speced at 75W at 130V.
The driver supplies 152V at a maximum of 83% duty cycle at 75kHz.
85% of 152V is 126V so the bulbs should be fine.
The waveform has a little ringing but not bad. The switching FETs (IRFBA22N50A) are running barely warm to the touch.

What am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:25 am     Reply with quote

I'm no expert but would guess that the majority of the stress on the element is caused by changes in filiment temperature. Being that you are using a square wave to power the bulb the temperature I would guess has impulse changes that would cause the fractures in the filiment. See what happends if you use a choke coil to prevent the ringing. Also the resistance of the filiment is probably changing with temperature. Compare the current with the voltage on a scope. The filiments have a complex impedance.
KerryW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Try a 100uH inductor in series with the bulb. Be sure you use a snubbing diode around the inductor. The internal diode on a spare FET (IR HexFET) should work fine. Drain to + side, Gate and Source to - side. DO NOT try to use a 1N400x series diode, it must be a high speed switcher. A capacitor in parallel with the bulb would also be a good idea.

You can get the inductor at Radio Shack.
david smith

Re: PWM and Quartz Halogen bulb life
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug wrote:
I have a PWM circuit driving some quartz halogen bulbs. The bulbs are rated 1000 hours but they are only lasting 10 to 20 hours.

First of all, my experience is "they lie." Halogens are the worst wrt life. What you can do: as Neutone suggests, the RMS value of a square wave is higher than a sine wave at the same freq, so you'll want to drop the duty cycle a little more. Also, most bulb failures occur at power on, because the filament resistance is 4-8 times lower when cold, so more current goes the bulb. Ramping up the voltage with PWM (called soft-start) over a .3 - .6 sec range can significantly extend life. Finally, the best way to extend life is to run at less than their rated value. (This is valid for all incandescent bulbs.) At 90% of rated V, you'll see 2-3x life; at 70-80% you'll see 4-8x.
mcafzap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Years ago I used 2 techniques to extend lamp life. The obvious one is to reduce the voltage which is probably not possible for you, the second was to have a bleed resistor in parallel with the switching transistor. From memory, it was 100ohms 4 watt component for a 12v 5W lamp.

HTH
Steve
SherpaDoug

Update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:28 am     Reply with quote

So far there seem to be two problems:
1) We've got some 110V bulbs mixed in with our 130V bulbs.
2) All 130V bulbs tested under bench conditions have lasted at least 24 hours, so we suspect some sort of physical shock or vibration problem in the field.

The bulbs are used on a ROV (wire guided remote control mini-submarine) and the customer has also bent the steel frame, so we are exploring shock mounting the lights & video camera rather than an electrical problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
Your lamp is overdriven.
The effective voltage of an square wave is
Ueff = Umax * sqrt(k)
where k = t/T is the duty cycle
In your case
Ueff = 152 * sqrt(0,83) = 138.5V
If you want to make 130V you have to use
k = (Ueff/Umax)^2 = (130/152)^2 = 73%

Brg,
Tomi
Matthew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:38 am     Reply with quote

Doug,

I was thinking about you guys when I saw this topic then realized it was you. I spent about 2 years working for the father-company of the ROV you speak of.

Regards,
Matthew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: