CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC stress testing...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELCouz

PIC stress testing...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some general use boards (using PIC24FJ128GA010) designed for me.

What kind of stress test (using CCS C compiler of course ;) ) can you do to see if the PIC is alright.

I heard some pic are counterfeit and / or recycled in the mainland china.

The PCB engineer and factory lines are in China.

What kind of endurance testing can you do with a PIC?

Just asking to be sure everything is legit!

Thanks!

-----------
Here's my first visual theme for the CCS C Compiler. Enjoy!
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:51 am     Reply with quote

hmm maybe the 'into the freezer, then the fire' test ?

See if the boards run and BOTH ends of the thermometer.
Also maybe a 'test' program that cycles the I/O lines at near max load/frequency. Best to have a contract clause saying IF they fail, mfr has to 'make it right'.

I know it's a lot cheaper to have them made 'overseas' but once out of the country you really have no control. I used to have a local PCB mfr make mine and I supplied the PICs from Toronto..sigh that was 15+ years ago....

Jay
asmboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 am     Reply with quote

A counterfeit PIC, especially of the pic24 family seems VERY unlikely to me.

I'd test run actual programs on it, make sure i could read the DEVID and DEVREV registers and successfully program the flash configuration words.

There is way too much complexity in the part for anyone to copy it without the chip masks and actual process information at the fab level.
Making chips is a far cry from running a photocopier.......

The fact that it runs your 'tested' program would give me all the confidence i need. Were it a fake chip ( which i doubt is reasonably possible) i think it would not work at all. For a "genuine fake" chip - endurance and thermal stress would be the LEAST of your problems...........

I suspect you are worrying about a very improbable thing.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 am     Reply with quote

A lot depends on what your end product is rated to handle?.

The standard is to temperature/humidity stress cycle sample boards for a number of hours. You may also use altitude tests stresses etc..
The normal code is what is used, with the 'caveat' that this should be written to record/report unexpected things. So code for this will do things like have a checksum on calibration & variable storage.

The PIC's, involved are actually genuine parts, marketed by Microchip as 'special needs' parts. These don't have the normal line testing and as a result are very much cheaper than standard parts, and are sold to customers who are prepared to accept their status in exchange for the low price. These have been reported to have been re-badged, and sold as 'real' parts by some suppliers in the Far East. There have also been completely bogus parts (often not even a chip from the same family), but these don't function at all (and won't program)....
newguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

We had a few test boards made in China. Once. Never again.

First and foremost, we asked that the boards be conformal coated. Gave them a list of connectors to mask and the conformal coating we wanted (Dow 1-2577). Boards we got were dipped in conformal coating. No masking. Conformal coating they used was indestructible (certainly not Dow 1-2577). No chemical I tried would even soften that stuff. Their advice to remedy the situation? "Get a small pointy tool and pick the coating out of the connector holes." High density approx. 0.010" square holes. Yeah, no.

Noticed that some of the components weren't what I specified. Wider capacitance and resistance tolerance than what I wanted. Some of the ICs were commercial temperature range, not industrial like I specified.

We demanded a refund and actually got it.

We now use a board manufacturer in California and I couldn't be happier with the service and quality of the boards they deliver. They never substitute parts on me either. Oh, and they don't dip our boards in adamantium-based conformal coating either. Very Happy
ELCouz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

asmboy wrote:
A counterfeit PIC, especially of the pic24 family seems VERY unlikely to me.

I'd test run actual programs on it, make sure i could read the DEVID and DEVREV registers and successfully program the flash configuration words.

There is way too much complexity in the part for anyone to copy it without the chip masks and actual process information at the fab level.
Making chips is a far cry from running a photocopier.......

The fact that it runs your 'tested' program would give me all the confidence i need. Were it a fake chip ( which i doubt is reasonably possible) i think it would not work at all. For a "genuine fake" chip - endurance and thermal stress would be the LEAST of your problems...........

I suspect you are worrying about a very improbable thing.

You'd be surprise how much there's a shady market for fake ICs in China...

I've seen some fake/bogus PIC16F877A few years ago... the Microchip logo and part # was badly etched almost unreadable...

Some Chinese can do reverse engineering too... take a look at the famous FT232R chinese clone... it work well but have some bugs with the genuine driver.

Everything is possible in China ;)

And don't even bother getting flash/eeprom IC from there... mostly recycled stuff.

Last month I've received bogus Ramtron FRAM (they said new old stock since Ramtron is dead)

-----------
ELCouz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

newguy wrote:
We had a few test boards made in China. Once. Never again.

First and foremost, we asked that the boards be conformal coated. Gave them a list of connectors to mask and the conformal coating we wanted (Dow 1-2577). Boards we got were dipped in conformal coating. No masking. Conformal coating they used was indestructible (certainly not Dow 1-2577). No chemical I tried would even soften that stuff. Their advice to remedy the situation? "Get a small pointy tool and pick the coating out of the connector holes." High density approx. 0.010" square holes. Yeah, no.

Noticed that some of the components weren't what I specified. Wider capacitance and resistance tolerance than what I wanted. Some of the ICs were commercial temperature range, not industrial like I specified.

We demanded a refund and actually got it.

We now use a board manufacturer in California and I couldn't be happier with the service and quality of the boards they deliver. They never substitute parts on me either. Oh, and they don't dip our boards in adamantium-based conformal coating either. Very Happy

Thanks I'll follow closely the quality of the boards and to be sure everything wasn't replaced by cheaper parts.

China is cheaper but takes longer time to make and communication is often difficult.

This is only a pcb test batch... no real production order with them yet.

-----------
ELCouz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
A lot depends on what your end product is rated to handle?.

The standard is to temperature/humidity stress cycle sample boards for a number of hours. You may also use altitude tests stresses etc..
The normal code is what is used, with the 'caveat' that this should be written to record/report unexpected things. So code for this will do things like have a checksum on calibration & variable storage.

The PIC's, involved are actually genuine parts, marketed by Microchip as 'special needs' parts. These don't have the normal line testing and as a result are very much cheaper than standard parts, and are sold to customers who are prepared to accept their status in exchange for the low price. These have been reported to have been re-badged, and sold as 'real' parts by some suppliers in the Far East. There have also been completely bogus parts (often not even a chip from the same family), but these don't function at all (and won't program)....

I'm targeting industrial operating range.

Thanks guy for all the support regarding the outsourcing of PCB manifacturing.

Very Happy

-----------
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

ELCouz wrote:

Thanks I'll follow closely the quality of the boards and to be sure everything wasn't replaced by cheaper parts.

China is cheaper but takes longer time to make and communication is often difficult.

This is only a pcb test batch... no real production order with them yet.

I can personally recommend RushPCB. I've been using them for almost 3 years now. Their quality and service are both tops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: