CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICSP for PIC18F458

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin McGregor

ICSP for PIC18F458
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they have succesfully done ICSP on the PIC18F458 using the humble PICSTART plus programmer?

If so, how???

Cheers for any help you can offer!

Re: ICSP for PIC18F458
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

:=Hi,
:=
:=Can anyone tell me if they have succesfully done ICSP on the PIC18F458 using the humble PICSTART plus programmer?
:=If so, how???
:=Cheers for any help you can offer!

You might just need to update the EEPROM in your programmer with a current hex file.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:55 am     Reply with quote

:=:=Hi,
:=:=
:=:=Can anyone tell me if they have succesfully done ICSP on the PIC18F458 using the humble PICSTART plus programmer?
:=:=If so, how???
:=:=Cheers for any help you can offer!
:=You might just need to update the EEPROM in your programmer with a current hex file.

Thanks for your response, but I have done this. In fact, I've actually been able to get it working a few times since my original message. However, it is still very temperamental, sometimes it works, other times there are lots of errors. I can't work out why though. Any suggestions???

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't use my PS+ in the last 2 years but if I remember correctly I have had the same problem and the possible reasons was:
1. If you use a windowed PIC in the PS+ then hide its window with a tape.
2. Check or replace your power supply.
3. Be sure that ALL the external PIC's Gnd and Vcc pins are connected to Gnd/Vcc.
I made these 3 steps at once so I don't know the real reason.
Just a tip.

:=:=:=Hi,
:=:=:=
:=:=:=Can anyone tell me if they have succesfully done ICSP on the PIC18F458 using the humble PICSTART plus programmer?
:=:=:=If so, how???
:=:=:=Cheers for any help you can offer!
:=:=You might just need to update the EEPROM in your programmer with a current hex file.
:=Thanks for your response, but I have done this. In fact, I've actually been able to get it working a few times since my original message. However, it is still very temperamental, sometimes it works, other times there are lots of errors. I can't work out why though. Any suggestions???
:=Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:43 pm     Reply with quote

I had the same experience with the PICStart Plus and the 18F8720. I switched to the Promate II and haven't had any problems with ICSP since. According to a Microchip Apps Engineer, the PICStart Plus does not have much output drive capability, so if one is trying ICSP over some cable, even short, there may be problems due to capacitance. Also if you have any capacitance on the Vdd and/or Vpp lines this will slow the rise time such that it does not meet the requirements for putting the processor into programming mode. When I was trying to use the PICStart Plus, it wouldn't work at all until I removed a 1.0uF capacitor on Vdd, then it worked some of the time.

Also, be sure the LVP pin is held low on a new processor since new blank chips come with LVP enabled.

:=Hi,
:=Can anyone tell me if they have succesfully done ICSP on the PIC18F458 using the humble PICSTART plus programmer?
:=If so, how???
:=Cheers for any help you can offer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: