CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

using ICD3 with CCS IDE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon2010

using ICD3 with CCS IDE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

Newbie here,

Is it possible to program a chip with the ICD3 while using the CCS IDE?

Using the ICD3/CCS IDE combo in debug mode works just fine, but if I recompile without debug I am unable to use CCLOAD to program the chip....get this --> Error:Target chip not supported.

For a work-around I've used the MPLAB IDE, imported the output file (debug off) and used the ICD3 to program the chip OK.

Is there a setting I can make so that I can do both debugging & programming within the CCS IDE??

thanks,
Jon
pkpdjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:27 am     Reply with quote

I have the same question. Newbie also. Did you figure this out?
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 am     Reply with quote

If I understand this issue then you are using a chip which has 3 PGD/PGC programming pin choices. The CCS IDE has the statement #device ICD=3
that is needed to let the CCS IDE debugger know the correct pins. Now for release this statement needs to be removed or commented out and the code recompiled. When there is only one set of programming pins or the set you are using is set 1 then #device ICD=true (equivalent to #device ICD=1 ) can be omitted from your code and prior to running the debugger the IDE will insert it for you and add the appropriate ROM code. The CCS debugger goes into high ROM and controls MCLR with the help of the IDE so for a release version you need to compile without it. Now ICSP3 in the fuses doesn't substitute for #device ICD=3, #device ICD=3 is still needed.
ICSP3 in the fuses is necessary for CCSLOAD to find the right pins. CCSLOAD defaults to ICSP1 so if you omit ICSP3 then CCSLOAD uses the ICSP1 pins and fails to identify the PIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: