CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

wireless network - more listeners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meereck

wireless network - more listeners
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I would like to build a device which communicates with others via a wireless network. Prerequisite is a possibility of more devices receiving a packet (no point to point).
What network and peripherals for a PIC are suitable?

thank you,
Best regards M.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.maxstream.net/products/xbee/xbee-pro-oem-rf-module-zigbee.php

I've used these modules in a couple of projects and they are fairly inexpensive. They have the ability to, in default mode, act as a serial cable between two devices. They can, also, be made to be a point-to-multipoint or multipoint-to-multipoint device. I had to get a MAX3371 interface part to convert the PIC's 5V signal to the XBEE's 3.3V signals. It took me a couple of calls to their Tech Support to figure out how to do the point-to-multipoint but now that I've got the hang of it it's fairly simple to make things work.

Ronald
meereck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:27 am     Reply with quote

thank you very much for an interesting reply.
I did some background reading about ZigBee. The problem is that I need to send a data to all devices in range of a sender and I don't want to be concerned with addresses, since I just need something like a broadcast packet. In other words I just need to send a packet to everyone who is able to receive it.
Therefore I need something which is not based on addressing.

Is the ZigBee capable of this?

Hope I explained it clearly.
cheers M.
Foppie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:44 am     Reply with quote

The Maxstream modules are able to broadcast. I believe this is only in the multi-point-to-point version but it might also work in the zigbee version. (hardware is the same for both function, you only need to flash the chips with new software to support the different versions).

Which ever version it is that supports the broadcast, you might find it usefull.

Hope this helps, Jos
jecottrell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Actually, with the Maxstream radios, there is no need to reflash the radios for the configuration you describe. A simple protocol in your PICs would allow for the reception of the broadcast packet.

The X-CTU software to reflash the radios is easy to use and allows for changing the default settings like: BAUD, ID's, channels, etc.

I would recommend them highly and they would be very suitable for your application.

John
Foppie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:25 am     Reply with quote

I just looked it up in the maxstream zigbee manual and it says it has the broadcast functionality available.

So you can use the maxstream zigbee modules.
kd5uzz

nRF24L01
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:19 am     Reply with quote

I just bought some of these from SparkFun. They've got an SPI interface, handle error detection and correction, 250kbit data rate. Can be configured to RX from 6 transmitting devices at once. Very cool.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=705
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: