CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Getting started with PIC's...what would you do differently?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jseidmann

Getting started with PIC's...what would you do differently?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm currently getting started with PIC programming. I have done some work with them in the past, but I have never started the work from scratch. I need something to get me started and up and running relatively quickly. I'd like a good development board or something with a PIC already on it so I just have to connect it to the ICD and the C compiler and load an example program onto it and it'll work pretty quickly. I"m willing to spend $300 or so on the development board & ICD. What would all of you recommend to help me get started quickly and get PIC'ing?

Seidleroni
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:33 am     Reply with quote

You can buy a PICDEM-2 Plus (don't forget the "Plus"), which a lot of people here use, as well as myself, to get proof-of-concept ideas running. It has a MAX232 chip to readily hook up to a PC's serial port, which you can run Hyperterminal on for debugging, a bank of LEDs, serial eeprom and temperature sensor to demonstrate I2C, an LCD, pushbuttons, and it supports a 28-pin, 18-pin, or 40-pin PIC. It's only $99, and In my opinion, is the most efficient general PIC programming demo board you'll need. (If you want to do speciallized things like CAN, USB,or Ethernet, then you'll need the more specialized demo boards that Microchip offers.)
jseidmann

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:09 am     Reply with quote

If I purchase the PicDem 2 plus board, can I use it with the CCS made ICD-U and CCS's C compiler?
bfmitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:57 am     Reply with quote

On my first project I decided to use pins for serial comms other than the built in UART. I seem to remember that I had what seemed like a good reason for it at the time. Later on, after products were in the field, I really wished I had used the built in UART.

I use a rather heavily modified Lab-X2 board from MicroEngineering Labs. I have an interface board for working with the ICD-U where the PIC is mounted. It uses a wire wrap socket for the PIC to plug into the experimenter board. I can use it like a debugger pod, with some limitations, on product boards.

Can you say Low Budget?
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:20 am     Reply with quote

jseidmann wrote:
If I purchase the PicDem 2 plus board, can I use it with the CCS made ICD-U and CCS's C compiler?

Of course, it has an RJ-11 jack on it for convenient debugging and programming by either an ICD-U (CCS) or ICD-2 (Microchip).

There are also some demo programs that have been contributed for it. For example:

TC74 Temperature Sensor:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24083&highlight=picdem2

LCD
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19496&highlight=picdem2

Pushbutton State Machine
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22145&highlight=picdem2

I just did a forum search in the "Code Library" for "PICDEM2". I know there are many other sample programs that work on a PICDEM2-Plus, but the poster may not have mentioned the target is the PICDEM-2 Plus and thus the 'search' utility didn't catch it.
Neutone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

I have several ICD-2 that are still in the wrapper and will probably never see any use. For a while I was using the CCS IDE and opening MPLAB to load my hex files. Now that was several years ago when the ICD-U was not yet fully functional. Now I don't use MPLAB at all and the ICD-2 I have are collecting dust. I find the ICD-U to be a very quick and effective programmer and debugger. The stand alone programming interface is a very big plus as well because it's so easy to use. The PICDEM-2 + is a versital board for development work or just foolin around so you cant hardly go wrong there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: