CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

pcw instruction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zio_pecos

pcw instruction
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:46 am     Reply with quote

i need to know differences between c and pcw instruction

in terms of

bit lenght

potentiality

do you know a web link or can you tell me something?

thank you
Ttelmah

Re: pcw instruction
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:11 am     Reply with quote

zio_pecos wrote:
i need to know differences between c and pcw instruction

in terms of

bit lenght

potentiality

do you know a web link or can you tell me something?

thank you

PCW, is 'C'. It is in some ways closer to the original K&R definitions than most modern compilers (which support an extended 'set' of syntax and instructions in 'ANSI C'). 99% of the original C instructions are supported. 'Bit length'?. 'C' has no effect on the ability of the processor (CCS have here followed the original K&R defintions, where the definition of an 'integer', is that it should be the 'native' type for the processor). Hence the CCS C, uses int to represent an 8bit value, but then offers a int16, and an int32. 'Potentiality', just about anything that can be written in normal C, can be written into the CCS, but you then have the limitations of the chip itself. For example, 're-entrancy', cannot be supported without some form of variable 'stack', which the chips do not support. Code size, and the number of variables, are dependant on the chip involved. CCS, has some (significant) weaknesses, when complex constructions are used (structures, containing further structures/unions, going to a significant 'depth', seem very unreliable). However these are beyond anything illustrated in the original K&R book. Allmost every example in K&R, can be directly compiled and run, except for a couple using re-entrancy.
Beyond 'C', the CCS compiler adds quite a lot of 'extras', for direct I/O (the #bit, and #byte operators etc.).

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:46 am     Reply with quote

thank you... Smile

i've posted this question because a friend of mine had found on the net a document that illustrate with high precision a comparing between pcw and C

all that you told me is what i was looking for

thank you

i there is anything else post it!!!!

Very Happy
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
thank you... Smile

i've posted this question because a friend of mine had found on the net a document that illustrate with high precision a comparing between pcw and C

all that you told me is what i was looking for

thank you

i there is anything else post it!!!!

Very Happy

I think the key here, will be 'ANSI C'. In ANSI C, the default 'integer', is a 16bit type. In the original C, the default varied with the processor, and this is retained in CCS C.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: