CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Is a 3.3 V level converter required for interfacing a 5V PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arunb

Is a 3.3 V level converter required for interfacing a 5V PIC
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:07 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to develop a project using a 18F4550 and a MMC (this is the first time i am using a MMC and the 18F4550). I need to interface them.

The MMC works on a 3.3 V system whereas the PIC works on 5 V system, do I need to convert the I/O levels of the MMC to 5 V or will the PIC detect the 3.3V level as a high.

Also is it OK to use a potential divider to power down the 5 V level to 3.3V or should I use a device like 74VHC08.

Please bear in mind the project is a datalogger for use in an industrial environment.

Your comments would be most helpful....

thank you
arunb
newguy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:00 am     Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question. Since this is for a commercial unit meant for industrial applications, why not use a dedicated level converter IC/ICs?
asmallri

Re: Is a 3.3 V level converter required for interfacing a 5V
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:02 am     Reply with quote

arunb wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to develop a project using a 18F4550 and a MMC (this is the first time i am using a MMC and the 18F4550). I need to interface them.

The MMC works on a 3.3 V system whereas the PIC works on 5 V system, do I need to convert the I/O levels of the MMC to 5 V or will the PIC detect the 3.3V level as a high.

Also is it OK to use a potential divider to power down the 5 V level to 3.3V or should I use a device like 74VHC08.

Please bear in mind the project is a datalogger for use in an industrial environment.

Your comments would be most helpful....

thank you
arunb

I have done a lot of work in this area. Yes you do need a level shifter from the D0 out of the card to the SDI in of the PIC. This is because, in SPI mode, the PIC uses a Schmidt trigger input stage and the voltage thresholds are outside to worst case scenario voltage levels for an SD/MMC card output.

Going the other way, form the PIC to the SD/MMC card, the resistor divider and the level converter via a xx08 are both viable options. Microchip's SD/MMC PICTail uses one variant of the xx08 as the level converter but some version of the boards do not work correctly. The 74LCX125M does work correctly.

Here is a link to an implementation using the 74LCX125M http://www.ljcv.net/picnet1/picnet1-ds0.pdf

Here is a link to an implementation using resistor dividers from PIC to the SD card: http://www.brushelectronics.com/download/BE_Reference_Design_PIC18F4620_ENC28J60.zip

All other considerations aside, the 74LCX125M approach is "cleaner".

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
libor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

I found this Microchip booklet very useful:
3V Tips 'n Tricks
ckielstra

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

Why not use an PIC18LF4550 at 3.3V?
Makes things a lot easier and you will save some power too (cheaper power supply). Only limitation is a maximum clock frequency of 18.7MHz at 3.3V.
newguy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

If you're set on using a 5V PIC, I can recommend the MAX3371 level shifter IC.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a selection tool for TI level shifting chips http://focus.ti.com/logic/docs/translationselection.tsp?templateId=5985&navigationId=11413

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:49 am     Reply with quote

As a makeshift solution you can also improve the voltage levels of your normal PIC (i.e. if you don't have the LF version) to lower threshold levels by lowering the supply voltage to 4.2 Volts (which still fits the specification according to the datasheet), this will give you much better aquisition margin to properly interpret the 3.3 V signals usually without any level shifting in the upward direction.
arunb

RE:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help.

I think the level shifter idea is better.

arunb
foodwatch

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

A simple level shift method is to take the 5v data out, go through the cathode of a diode, tie the anode to 3v through a 10k resistor and bring the anode to the desired 3v input of the connected line. When the source goes high to 5v it is blocked by the diode and the 10k resistor acts as a 3v pull up. When the source goes low, it pulls the anode of the diode low and provides a safe low for your 3v source. This is cheaper and easier that a level shifter unless you have many i/o pins to deal with.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

This idea may work when you are going from the output of a 5v device to the input of a 3.3v device but, without a shifter, how do you get the 3.2v coming out of your 3.3v device to reach the 4.0v required by the input of the 5v device?

Ronald
foodwatch

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

This can be done as follows: Take the 3v output line and connect it thru a 10k resistor to the base of an NPN transistor (ie 2n2222). Tie the emitter to ground. Take the collector through another 10k resistor to 5v supply. Take the output to your 5v device from the junction of the the 10k and the collector. You will need to invert your logic... ie a 1 at 3v = 0 at 5v, or if you like lotsa parts add another transistor configured the same way to get the logic back to 1 in = 1 out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: