CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

MPLAB & .LST files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
legion

MPLAB & .LST files
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:21 am     Reply with quote

I would like to see the .LST files created by the CCS compiler show up in MPLAB and although I can open them in there, the Microchip IDE keeps telling me that the file has changed after every compilation and asks if I want to reload it - which is a right pain.

Having read everything I can find about it I'm still not sure how .LST files are supposed to integrate with everything else. They hardly get a mention in the MPLAB documentation.
Matro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:28 am     Reply with quote

.lst file is a listing file that just show the intermediate assembly code that is generated by CCS.
But that is not used to program a device or something like that.
For programming the device you should use the .hex file that is generated by CCS, and for debugging it can be a .cof or a .cod file.

Although it is assembly code, .lst file is done for "human" purpose to check the generated code if needed.

Matro.
legion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Hi Matro. That's a shame because I find the .LST file really quite useful when writing code. It often helps me spot inefficiencies in the way I'm writing C - it also gives invaluable statistics about memory and stack usage.

I'm used to working with CCS in an ICEPIC emulation environment which not only supports the .LST file but also lets you step through the code assembly instruction by assembly instruction in that file. Unfortunately since Microchip don't make emulation chips that can be sold in European countries due to the Lead-free directive, it's becoming necessary for me to use ICD more and more Crying or Very sad
ckielstra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Like Matro said, the list file is just a text file generated by the compiler for your info. MPLAB treats it as such and warns you the external file has changed, what other behaviour do you want? MPLAB is from Microchip, so direct your complaints to them.

In MPLAB have a look at the Disassembly Listing (Under the View menu). I guess this is what you really are looking for, it looks a lot like the list file and here you can single step and set breakpoints.

Quote:
Unfortunately since Microchip don't make emulation chips that can be sold in European countries due to the Lead-free directive, it's becoming necessary for me to use ICD more and more
This is true for production series, but for test purposes you can still buy the lead containing components.
RLScott

Re: MPLAB & .LST files
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

legion wrote:
I would like to see the .LST files created by the CCS compiler show up in MPLAB and although I can open them in there, the Microchip IDE keeps telling me that the file has changed after every compilation and asks if I want to reload it - which is a right pain.

I also look at the .LST file frequently after a CCS compile. But all you have to do is hit Enter when you see the prompt. Is that such a pain?

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Matro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:36 am     Reply with quote

legion wrote:
Hi Matro. That's a shame because I find the .LST file really quite useful when writing code. It often helps me spot inefficiencies in the way I'm writing C - it also gives invaluable statistics about memory and stack usage.

I'm used to working with CCS in an ICEPIC emulation environment which not only supports the .LST file but also lets you step through the code assembly instruction by assembly instruction in that file. Unfortunately since Microchip don't make emulation chips that can be sold in European countries due to the Lead-free directive, it's becoming necessary for me to use ICD more and more Crying or Very sad

Normally, debuggers and emulators should use the .cof or .cod file, and not the .lst one.
For statistics, CCS generates a complete .sta file.
But you're right to use it to find inefficiency since it's done for that (and to find eventual compiler bugs).
As already said, Lead-free and ROHS apply only for mass production devices, but not for development products.

Matro
legion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:30 am     Reply with quote

OK, thanks all. I guess I'll have to live with the reload? dialogue popping up after every compile.
ckielstra wrote:
Like Matro said, the list file is just a text file generated by the compiler for your info. MPLAB treats it as such and warns you the external file has changed, what other behaviour do you want? MPLAB is from Microchip, so direct your complaints to them.

In MPLAB have a look at the Disassembly Listing (Under the View menu). I guess this is what you really are looking for, it looks a lot like the list file and here you can single step and set breakpoints.

I have looked at this dissasembly listing but it only seems to show one assembly instruction for each line of source code... obviously a line of C source is likely to correspond to many instructions! Have I missed a way to see the full listing?

ckielstra wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately since Microchip don't make emulation chips that can be sold in European countries due to the Lead-free directive, it's becoming necessary for me to use ICD more and more
This is true for production series, but for test purposes you can still buy the lead containing components.

I don't understand this. The manufacturer of the ICEPIC emulator (RF Solutions in the UK) is selling its products into Europe. So are you saying that test equipment products can contain lead? This is the reason they have given for discontinuing the products anyway.
RLScott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:25 am     Reply with quote

legion wrote:

I have looked at this dissasembly listing but it only seems to show one assembly instruction for each line of source code... obviously a line of C source is likely to correspond to many instructions! Have I missed a way to see the full listing?

It is often the case that a single C source line will result in only a single PIC assembly instruction. That is the sign of an optimized compiler and good design by Microchip. But some C lines must produce several lines of assembly code. Try looking at something like

if(x < y) x = y;

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Blob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:14 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't understand this. The manufacturer of the ICEPIC emulator (RF Solutions in the UK) is selling its products into Europe. So are you saying that test equipment products can contain lead? This is the reason they have given for discontinuing the products anyway.

In europe, the PCB assembler machines are changed into lead free soldering.
(read "should be changed")

On these machines you can not solder components containing lead, as they will pollute the thin bath.

If you are soldering it yourself at home, you can use lead free and components that contain lead all together.

I assume you don't have a thin bath at your home...

therefore here in europe all components are changing to lead free, and the lead containing ones are disappearing.

Best Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: