CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Transflash SD vs MMC by SPI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laserted

Transflash SD vs MMC by SPI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I've been implementing 3.3 and 5v MMC and SD cards on PICs for some time now with success, but recently received a large batch of TransFlash SD cards that won't work for me - won't even get past init. They're micro-SD cards of SanDisk descent, in original SanDisk micro-to-standard SD adapters. I have sizes from 16mb to 128mb, and am trying with both Fat and Fat32 libraries. The cards operate fine in my Linux and Win32 machines, as well as other embedded devices (cameras, PDAs, MP3 etc).

I fully realize that SPI (as implemented in these libraries, at least) is a compatibility mode of MMC, not necessarily SD or anything else for that matter - does anyone have recent experience working with Transflash/MicroSD successfully?

I'm not too concerned if I can't use these cards; 1GB cards in full-size SD are so cheap these days to be a non-issue; just when you only need to play back 2mb worth of data, sending out 1GB cards seems silly....

Thanks,

Ted.
ckielstra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

The SPI-bus is an optional communication mode in the microSD standard (compulsory for normal SD). I don't know how you can check if SPI is supported or not.

1-bit bus mode is compulsory but that is a major rewrite of your code.
asmallri

Re: Transflash SD vs MMC by SPI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

laserted wrote:
I've been implementing 3.3 and 5v MMC and SD cards on PICs for some time now with success, but recently received a large batch of TransFlash SD cards that won't work for me - won't even get past init. They're micro-SD cards of SanDisk descent, in original SanDisk micro-to-standard SD adapters. I have sizes from 16mb to 128mb, and am trying with both Fat and Fat32 libraries. The cards operate fine in my Linux and Win32 machines, as well as other embedded devices (cameras, PDAs, MP3 etc).

I fully realize that SPI (as implemented in these libraries, at least) is a compatibility mode of MMC, not necessarily SD or anything else for that matter - does anyone have recent experience working with Transflash/MicroSD successfully?

I'm not too concerned if I can't use these cards; 1GB cards in full-size SD are so cheap these days to be a non-issue; just when you only need to play back 2mb worth of data, sending out 1GB cards seems silly....

Thanks,

Ted.

I am successfully using 2G MicroSD cards. You might want to try performing a SDHC initialization sequence on these cards.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: