CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

I can send/receive data to my cell by the pic using usb?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pattousai

I can send/receive data to my cell by the pic using usb?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

Hi everybody...

I'm trying to send AT commands to a regular cellphone, the problem is that the today's cells only have the usb port...

Is there a way to comunicate with them using the usb for the pic?

I'm totally new in this area (i already have done some stuff with pics, but i guess that was basic stuffs) and from what i read, the usb comunication is realy complicated, needing drivers and etc...

So... if there is a way to do that, what steps i have to take?

Thanks very much for the attention and sorry for the bad english (i'm also very tired :/)
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 am     Reply with quote

Simple answer. No......
The problem is that the USB port on the phone, is a 'slave' port. The USB port on the PIC is also a 'slave'. All USB transactions, require a 'master' at one end.
However (there always have to be these caveats), _a few_ phone ports are 'smart, and can operate as a USB slave, or switch to being a 'normal' serial port, when a special cable is attached. Look for these.
The only other answer is to implement a USB 'master' device. The commonest chip for people wanting a relatively easy solution, is the FTDI Vinculum', and there is demo code for this, to implement a USB master to talk to some 'standard' devices (a USB 'CDC' device - 'com port' is one of them), and this _might_ be able to talk to such a phone. This depends on how the USB interface on the phone is implemented - some use much more complex connections for things like their camera functions...
It is not 'easy'.

Best Wishes
pattousai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

However (there always have to be these caveats), _a few_ phone ports are 'smart, and can operate as a USB slave, or switch to being a 'normal' serial port, when a special cable is attached. Look for these.

So... i will be able to send rs232 signal for them? Using the directive
Code:

#use rs232(baud=xxxx, xmit = PIN_XY, rcv = PIN_YX )

If so... how i'm suppose to connect the wires?

And... how i will know that a cellphone is 'that smart'?

thanks very much
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

You have to look, and see if they offer a RS232 cable. Some of the more expensive Nokia models do, using the same connection as the USB. What the phone does, is look at the signals presented on the connector, and changes 'mode' according to what is there. Some Samsung models also still offer RS232, with a larger connector, as does at least one Ericsson model. You will need to be using a hardware RS232 port on the PIC, and interrupt driven serial with a significant buffer, since most modern phones send quite large packets, with quite high baud rates.
Alternatively (and simpler really), just pick up one of the industrial cellphone modem 'modules'. These usually cost more than most mass production phones, but have an RS232 interface designed to talk directly to a microcontroller. A typical unit is the GM862.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: