CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Ethernet dev kits: Microchip vs CCS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hampton

Ethernet dev kits: Microchip vs CCS
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting into using ethernet and am wondering if anyone has thoughts on which dev board to go with. I've been using the CCS compiler for almost two years now and would like to stick with it.

Microchip's PICDEM.net 2 board comes with both a PIC18F97J60 and a ENC28J60 for me to play around with. The downside is none of the code that comes with the board is useful to me since I'll be using the CCS compiler. However, I can already get CCS's TCP/IP stack and example code.

CCS's 3.3V Ethernet Controller Dev Kit offers a "lesser" PIC and no separate ethernet controller. The code that comes with the board will work with the CCS compiler, but I don't know if there is any extra code that comes with the dev kit that I can't already get with the TCP/IP bundle I can download from the CCS compiler updates page.

Price is the same on both kits, so from a hardware standpoint the microchip kit seems to offer much more. Am I missing something here?

Is there any extra code that comes with the CCS ethernet dev kit that isn't part of the TCP/IP download on the compiler updates page?
nazoa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

We bought the ccs kit. I can tell you that it comes with some useful example programs that demonstrate functionality such as webserver, smtp, udp, etc. I found the examples really useful. On the downside the stack provided is a modified version of Microchip's v3.75 although the latest Microchip stack is v4,18. I don't know if or when ccs will release a more up to date version.
Hampton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

Do you by any chance have a list of example programs that comes with the CCS dev kit? The TCP/IP bundle I downloaded has some example programs, but I'm wondering if the dev kit comes with more than what I can download from the CCS website.
Storic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:55 am     Reply with quote

check the misc in the download section Confused
http://www.ccsinfo.com/compilerupdates.php

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Storic wrote:
check the misc in the download section Confused
http://www.ccsinfo.com/compilerupdates.php
yes that's what I've been referring to. I'm wondering if that is the same examples/code that comes with the dev kit or if the dev kit comes with more stuff that is not included in that download.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: