CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Changing Parity and Stop Bits on the FLY, #use RS232 no work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Got PIC

Changing Parity and Stop Bits on the FLY, #use RS232 no work
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to switch from XX, N,8,1 to some other Parity or STOP bits, on the fly. I tried using the #use rs232, using several streams, nothing seems to work?

I made some very simple code. I used SIOW test everthing. No matter what I configure the SIOW to, with respect to Parity and Stop bits, the char's are echoed???? ...as if the parity and stop bits don't matter??

It look likes the #use 232 defined, is the one used??

#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=N, BITS=8,xmit=PIN_G1,rcv=PIN_G2,ENABLE = PIN_F7, stream=COMM_PORT2,errors)

Is there another way without using #use rs232. You would think that set_baud() would allow you to set the Parity and stop bits...???@#$%^&*

#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=N, BITS=8,STOP=2, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7,ENABLE = PIN_A5,stream=_N_2_COMM_PORT1,errors)

#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=O, BITS=8,STOP=2, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7,ENABLE = PIN_A5,stream=_O_2_COMM_PORT1,errors)
#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=E, BITS=8,STOP=2, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7,ENABLE = PIN_A5,stream=_E_2_COMM_PORT1,errors)
#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=O, BITS=8,STOP=1, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7,ENABLE = PIN_A5,stream=_O_1_COMM_PORT1,errors)
#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=E, BITS=8,STOP=1, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7,ENABLE = PIN_A5,stream=_E_1_COMM_PORT1,errors)

#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=N, BITS=8,STOP=1,xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7,ENABLE = PIN_A5,stream=COMM_PORT1,errors)
#use rs232(baud=115200,PARITY=N, BITS=8,xmit=PIN_G1,rcv=PIN_G2,ENABLE = PIN_F7, stream=COMM_PORT2,errors)

#int_rda //poop
void serial_isr()
{
rda_t=fgetc(_E_2_COMM_PORT1);
fputc(rda_t,_E_2_COMM_PORT1);
}
piripic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 am     Reply with quote

I do not understand why CCS has made so little flexibility in the management of the hardware UART.
My advice is to write yourself your "UART driver management" because ccs does not offer a lot of flexibility in this.

Claudio
Matro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:17 am     Reply with quote

#use is a preprocessor directive that hasn't on-the-fly capabilities.
So the result you have is just ... logical.
It's true that there is no built-in function to change parity but that is so simple to do that you can change it very easily : just declare a #byte or #bit variable and assign directly the new settings.

Matro.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 am     Reply with quote

Changes to 'stop bits', generally, won't stop characters being echoed. Think of the stop bit like a gap between characters. Extending it on a device 'sending', just leaves a longer gap. Normally a device receiving, won't error on a character arriving with a 'short' stop _unless a second character starts before the extended time_. So it is almost impossible to force an error with incorrect stop bit settings, if you are simply typing characters manually. See also the comments two paragraphs down.

On parity, again the character will echo. All that is done, is that the parity error bit is set in RS232_ERRORS. So unless you test this, the charater will be sent back.

Now on the lack of flexibility in hardware UART handling, it is worth realising that the hardware UART can't actually 'do' much in the way of parity handling. If you want (for instance) to send 8 bit data with even, or odd parity, and send it 'on the fly', then the best way, is to setup the chip to use 9 bit data, and simply generate the parity yourself. This is what the CCS code has to do anyway, since the UART has no parity support built in. This is the reason for the lack of flexibility, since there is no simple 'bit change' type setting to alter the parity, instead different code is needed to calculate the required bit. This is also why the stop bit settings, won't trigger any hardware errors. The UART _only_ supports one stop bit. All the two stop bit setting does, is generate an extra bit time delay between sending characters. The receive settings are not changed at all (since receiving early, won't matter).

The hardware UART on the PIC, only actually supports a very small 'subset' of normal UART settings. Everything else, has to be done in software by cheating, and some of these 'cheats', do not give the level of checking that a normal UART would achieve. I you want more flexibility, then I'm afraid you need to consider adding an external UART.

Best Wishes
Got PIC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:48 am     Reply with quote

The only thing I want to support is 8bit, (N)o Parity, (E)ven Parity, (O)dd Parity. Maybe 1 and 2 stop Bits. I'm sure this can be done some how. It's silly that CCS doesn't support this in the "set_uart_speed"

Something like set_uart_speed(baud,parity,stop,[stream])..
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Parity generation and checking is done in software by CCS library code.
That's because the PIC doesn't have the capability to do it in hardware.
To do what you want, CCS would have to change the parity code so it
was permanently resident, and also make it configurable. This would
take up additional ROM, and also some RAM.

The basic philosophy of the CCS compiler is to only generate code if it's
needed. This philosophy comes from the early days, in which ROM and
RAM space was very limited. Since then, PICs have gotten larger.
To incorporate your idea, they would have to change their whole
philosophy. This might irritate some other people, who would complain
that there was "dead" code taking up badly needed space in their PIC.
Got PIC

Change Parity; Response to PCM programmer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

PCM programmer,

Thanks for the response.
Your code space concerns could be addressed by supporting a seperate function...maybe something like the "set_uart_speed()" function.
set_uart_parity(int8 parity, int8 stopbits).

If a user doesn't want to use it, then they can exclude the function from code.

I think if you ask other CCS users, the vote would be over-whelming, to add such support.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

Read what I have posted.
Your existing code, _is_ working. You need to check RS232_ERRORS, before you will see any error as a result of parity changes. Unless you check this, and don't echo the character if there is an error, the character _will_echo.
The ability is already there (as far as it can be done within the limitations of the hardware).

Best Wishes
Got PIC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah,

What I'm I checking "RS232_ERRORS" for? And what do I do on error?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: