CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bit bash I2C slave?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SherpaDoug

Bit bash I2C slave?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

Is it practical to use a PIC like the 16F628A without I2C hardware as a slave? I want to eavesdrop on a SMB data exchange but I don't have any I2C hardware chips on hand. Maybe I should just order some and shelve this project till they arrive?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:43 am     Reply with quote

Assuming the application is only to sniff and then send the information via UART. So, it would be a nice exercise if you have the necessary time. And probably you'll never get a dedicated chip flexible enough as 628 is. BTW 628 is my favorite.
Good luck!
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Since I will only be a 3rd party sniffing the lines, and I don't want to generate ACK/NACK I suspect the hardware I2C might be a problem. I'll give it an hour and see if I can do it in software with my 628. It would probably take an hour to process a !@#$% corporate purchase order anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Even with a hardware I2C I'm not sure you would have much luck anyway. The slave would simply sit there, doing nothing, unless it saw it's address being sent. You would need to know the addresses being sent as well. It's, also, not possible to have two slaves with the same address so I would imagine you would need to set up a different kind of 'sniffer'.

A data-logger type of device might be better since they're supposed to just grab whatever signals it's supposed to and stuff the data somewhere for retrieval at a later time. Maybe have an EXT_INT tied to the SCL line and be triggered from that. Not sure though, just a place to start.

Sounds like a fun little project to tackle though. Good luck!

Ronald
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

If you want to spend some money, you can buy a logic analyzer that
has an i2c interpreter built into the application program.

We have this one, the LA1034:
http://www.pctestinstruments.com/
It's a relatively low cost, 34 channel, 500 MHz timing analyzer that
is very compact in size and plugs into a USB port on your PC.

To use the i2c interpreter, you connect two pins to the SDA and SCL
signals, and then it displays another channel that shows the start and
stop bits, the R/W address, and the ACK bits. Here's a screen shot:
http://www.pctestinstruments.com/logicport/interpreters.htm

When we got this unit, we put our old HP analyzer in the closet.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

That looks real nice! And the low price keeps it out of the "capital equipment" category. Does it have any logic outputs? The one thing I like about my ancient, noisy, heavy, power hungry HP1630 logic analyzer is that has a trigger logic output BNC, so I can use it to trigger my scope to look at analog characteristics from a complex logic trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Take a look at this one. It's not fancy but has several protocols it will interface with. http://www.hobbylab.us

Ronald
ivan

re
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am     Reply with quote

this hobbylab also looks good but is identical to poscope also sw are same look at www.poscope.com difference the last ship from europe(free)
I have LA1034 from 2 years and is wonderful product but if you don't have a real scopemeter or your budget is little the poscope is best way to begin
borisz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Hello!

For comparison. PoScope have some hardware (e.g. AC/DC switches controlled by software, square/PWM generator...) and software improvements (e.g. XY mode...). All registered users receive free software upgrades.
We did not update screenshots on web page as software improvement have priority.

For members of these forum, we are offering 10% rebate on PoScope basic 2 bundle.
Coupon code: ccsinfo12
offer valid until 4. july 2008

best regards

PoLabs team
www.poscope.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Hi

I got one LA1034 and one Poscope. Don't make compare to the product, because it's not possible.

The LA1034 is professionally tools but it cost more then Poscope.

I prefer the LA1034:-)
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 am     Reply with quote

The Poscope looked interesting until I ran into the 200kHz max digitizing frequency. Anything less than 50MHz is a non-starter for me. At 200kHz you can't even look at the clock of your PIC, or 115200 baud serial, even 100kHz SPI is going to be tough to decode.

I am happy with my LA1034, though I wish it had deeper memory.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: