CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Migrating to better PIC, concerned about CCS support

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Migrating to better PIC, concerned about CCS support
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all, I have only used ccs c for 12F and 16F series pics so far. Looking to migrate a project that is using 2 pic's to a singe higher level pic that can handle it all.

It seems I can get away with either the PIC24FJ16GA002 or PIC18F24J10 while staying within my price budget (just.. they are both lowest or there abouts for there family). But how well supported are these pics in ccs? I don't want to have to deal with a buggy compiler for every feature I add. I will be using PWM, Comparator, SPI, UART, watch crystal on timer1, interrupts, sleep functions, etc.

I would love to use the PIC24FJ16GA002 but I quickly skimmed the 24F thread thats stickied and it seems out of the question for now? But how about the PIC18F24J10?
ELCouz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

I would go with the PIC18.

Pic24 , dspic30 & 33 are using the PCD 24 bit compiler which is more than BETA stage.

Best Regards,
Laurent
Neutone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

ELCouz wrote:
I would go with the PIC18.

Pic24 , dspic30 & 33 are using the PCD 24 bit compiler which is more than BETA stage.

Best Regards,
Laurent

The same could be said about the silicon core. The PIC18 core is much more mature than the PIC24 or DSP cores. I would bet there are few if any remaining bugs in the PIC18 core. I would be surprised if there are not any bugs in the PIC24 or DSP cores.

You would also have the benefit of more easily porting code from one 8 bit processor to another 8 bit processor.
elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 am     Reply with quote

forgot to log on :/

thanks guys

I take it the 18F CCS compiler is just as reliable for the (newer I think..) 18FxxJ series as other 18F parts?
MGP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:34 am     Reply with quote

The last couple PIC projects I've done were with 18FxxJ parts and both PCWH (4.058) and ICD-U40 have given us no troubles. We are exercising the parts pretty heavily -- using (2) UARTs, two timers, PWM and A/D.
esa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:17 am     Reply with quote

If you hesitate and want to make test, it's always possible to have Sample Item from microchips : Very Happy
It's possible to choose 4 differents devices x 3
http://sample.microchip.com/

I make a order and receive it in 2 weeks :
PIC18F4685-I/P - 3
PIC18F2685-I/SP - 3
PIC18F4610-I/P - 3
PIC18F4620-I/P - 3

BUT, only possible if you have a valid Email adress (from your office for example )
Regards
Eric
Storic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

I am using 24FJ64GA004 for my application using CCS V4.068 yes in the earlier version, there were some "undocumented features" and now, I am not seeing at this time, I will expect to see some new ones as CCS start to add the other function on the chip I am using (ie CRC, RTCC)

By then I would have moved up to the 24FJ256GA(GB)106 same family function as 24FJ64GA004 just more flash(256 v 64) comms(4 v 2) 64 pin v 44 pin and GB has USB
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: