CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

delay_ms instruction problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojos

delay_ms instruction problem
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:25 am     Reply with quote

Hello.I use PiC 18F2520. CCS version 3.249

I noticed that when i use delay_ms() instruction the interrupts from e.g. Timer1
doesn't work correctly.TO enter the interrupt service routine
it must first complete the delay time from the delay_ms instruction

I want when the Timer reach its FFFF value ,and produce its interrupt,the program to
go into the interrupt service routine and not to wait to complete the
delay_ms time.

How can i achieve that?Maybe a software delay routine of my own?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:20 am     Reply with quote

It sounds as if you are using delays inside an interrupt routine somewhere.
If so, interrupts _will_ be disabled during the delays, to prevent re-entracy (you cannot call code from inside itself on the PIC, and if delays are using inside the interrupt, which could therefore result in delays inside delays if the interrupt occurred inside the delay).
1) Avoid using delays in interrupts, unless absolutely neccessary. If _short_ delays are needed, use the 'delay_cycles' instruction.
2) Try to consider using delays of another sort (use a 'tick' timer interrupt, and count this, rather than waiting inside the interrupt).
2) If you absolutely _must_ have delays, then add a separate '#use delay' declaration for the interrupt code. This will result in separate code being generated for the delaysin the interrupts, and prevent interrupts being disabled in the 'main' code. A search here, will find examples of how to do this.

Best Wishes
jojos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Found the problem.Inside interrupt routine i called A/D conversion to catch some button pressing.Inside A/D routine i used these delay calls

Code:

ADON=1;

delay_ms(1);

WaitAdc:
   GO=1;

//delay_cycles(10);

Wait:       
    if(GO !=0)      //Wait until conversion finishes
    goto Wait;

I removed these delay calls and everything works good.I dont like though the fact i had to remove these delay calls.I believe they are necessary for the A/D to work well(i am not sure).

Thanks anyway for the response.
Wayne_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 am     Reply with quote

In that small snapshot of code you have 2 labels and 1 goto.
I am assuming you are writing in C.

try
while (GO) {}

for the loop!

Someone is bound to say that goto is quicker. If you therefore need speed write in assembly. Although goto is allowed in C it is not good practise to use it.
And generally speaking there is always a nicer way to do it than using a GOTO even if it requires a little more code.
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Many new to progamming see don't use goto as the eleventh commandment.
While{} clauses can and often are just as obtuse. Since both goto and while{} are useful then both should be used. The issue with c is pointers. A misused or misunderstood pointer can cause much more grief than a misused goto or over convoluted while{} statements.
Quote:

Wayne_ wrote:
Remove the & from &CANmsg[0] and &CANmsg[1]

CANmsg[0] is the same as a pointer to the first entry and CANmsg[1] to the second.

No, if you remove the ampersand then the structure will be passed, not the address of the structure. The posters problem lies elsewhere, the code as he has shown is (syntax wise anyway) ok.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 am     Reply with quote

A a comment though, why not just use the read_adc command?. This already does exactly what the posted code was doing. Unless there is something 'wrong' with the CCS code, use it. It makes code simpler, and reduces the number of likely fault locations.

Best Wishes
Wayne_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:59 am     Reply with quote

Douglas Kennedy
"Many new to programming see don't use goto as the eleventh commandment. "

Referring to me ? LOL

And to quote a mistake I posted in another thread. WOW.

Using goto is BAD practice in C.
Mainly because misused goto's will cause stack problems due to jumping out of functions and not returning from them properly.

I would have thought it was the new programmer or a script kiddy that would be more likely to use a GOTO. Someone who has moved to C from a language which incorporates GOTO's as standard practice. Such as BASIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: