CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Problems with Bootloader and sleep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vamsi

Problems with Bootloader and sleep
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a peculiar problem using Pic18F4520. My application uses sleep mode and wakes up every 2 secs. Just after it wakes up it makes the pin D5 high and do some stuff make it low and go to sleep mode again. WHen i download this code directly using the ICD everything works fine.

But when i use it with the bootlaoder provided by CCS, whenever the controller wakes up from sleep mode, there is a reset.

Is the bootloader, sleep mode and the pin D5 related some how? Is D5 a special pin or being used by the bootlaoder?

Any kind of suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Vamsi
ckielstra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:53 am     Reply with quote

What is your compiler version?

Is your application using interrupts?
Vamsi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

I am using CCS compiler and i am using interrupts. I use timer1 to interrupt every 2 secs and the application code comes out of sleep.
ckielstra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe it is a known problem, that's why we want to know the version number of you compiler, not just if it is a CCS compiler (you being here at this forum I already assumed that). The version number can be found at several places, I always look at the top of the list file (*.lst). The number looks something like 3.249, 4.037 or 4.064

Most likely the interrupt is causing your problems. The CCS bootloader is located low in memory, overlapping the addresses for the hardware interrupt vector at 0x0008 and 0x0018. The CCS bootloader provides a jump from these addresses to a new location in your main program. What most likely has failed is that you didn't tell your main program the interrupt addresses have changed using the #build declaration. To fix this you only have to add the following line to the start of your main program:
Code:
#include <bootloader.h>
Vamsi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

The version i am using is 4.032

I have already added that line and the interrupts are rightly changed to the new locations.

When i comment a particular line in the application i.e. output_high(pin_d5) everything works fine otrher wise there is a reset.

The code is like this
sleep();//it comes out of sleep only for every 2secs due to timer1 interrupt
output_high(pin_d5);//if i comment this everything is fine....i dont assume
// it is hardware problem becauze it works fine when i flash the code directly using ICD
a=b+c;//some code
sleep();
ckielstra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:51 am     Reply with quote

A strange problem... The PIC processor is very basic and there are not many things that can cause it to reset. Are you sure the processor is resetting?
If yes, try adding a call to restart_cause() to figure out what causes the reset.

What is connected to your pin D5? Is it possible that activating this pin causes a voltage spike? Is the PIC still resetting when you disconnect whatever is connected to this pin?

Try adding a NOP instruction, a delay_cycles(1), directly after the sleep call. The PIC processor has a primitive kind of instructions pipeline causing the next instruction to be already partially loaded on entering the sleep mode. Adding a NOP avoids some rare problems, especially when the next instruction is a conditional instruction.

Which silicon revision of the PIC18F4520 are you using? Check the errata data sheets, for example the B2 stepping has some problems when the Brown Out Reset is used in combination with Power-Up Timer.

Compiler version 4.032 is one of the first v4.0xx versions that became usable. I wouldn't use it for serious product development. It is worth upgrading to the latest release, in the 30+ releases since your version many bugs have been solved.

One thing that might be different from your stand alone version and the one with the bootloader are the #fuses settings. The bootloader will not reprogram the fuses, so whatever settings you used when programming the bootloader, that's what your application is running with. Especially take note when comparing the Power-Up Timer and Brown Out Reset settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: