CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Most Stable Version 4.XX

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most Stable Version 4.XX
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

What is the most stable version 4 compiler?
Most Stable Version 4.XX

Mr X
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Hahahahaha... V 4.9999999 to be released 2 years from now I think. this means you have to wait 999 releases before you can try it at your own risk and it is just in Beta stage. V4 is still an Alfa stage product.
Steve H.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:07 am     Reply with quote

You don't understand how CCS works - I have observed this from using the product since 1994.

1) CCS does not work towards a better and better compiler as far as bugs go - or release x.10 won't necessarily be better than release x.9 as far as bugs go.

2) They do work towards adding features and keeping up with new chips.

3) They do this by adding features incrementally. They however don't fully regression test on every little release. Hence the new features break previously working features.

4) The do apparently fully regression test from time to time and post this on the download page. These are usually pretty stable. They are the best ones to stick with unless you really, really need some 'in-between' release feature.

5) The next release after the stable release will add more features but will undoubtedly break other things that were previously working.

6) If you do find a bug and report it - it has been my experience that they will kill that bug very quickly and give you a new release.

7) This is just they way it is - the way it has been since I started being a user in 1994.

8) I'm not sure that they 'other guy's' are really any better - some of the other compilers don't keep up with new chips and most have bugs too.

9) I think the best way to use the compiler is to keep the code simple! Think Small-C on a Apple ][, not C++ on a Pentium when you are coding! That's the way most of us who have been at this a looooong time get by with very workable code.

10) Understanding the way things are helps to lower the stress level - that's just the way it is - not everyone likes it, some of us learn to deal with it.

HTH - Steve H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: