CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

will ccs rid me of memory problems if i change from c18?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosscoe

will ccs rid me of memory problems if i change from c18?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:12 am     Reply with quote

Sorry if this is not the place for this.

I would like to ask users of ccs if the memory management features of the ccs compiler will ease the issues with memory corruption, and what appears to be continual issues with addressing the correct bank, with global structures and pointers even though I try to use full addressing to avoid the problems? Also does it deal with the software stack as it is known in c18?

I am working on a pretty intense maths app, with lots of data in an 18f8720. I have developed my functions one at at a time but now I try to put it all together the fun starts.

Rosscoe.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:20 am     Reply with quote

At heart, almost certainly no.
C18, is pretty good. In common with the CCS compiler, you have to remember that the PIC chips themselves have no memory manager. As such, there is nothing in the hardware, to prevent a function accessing memory outside the area it is meant to. The commonest cause of memory problems on _both_ compilers, is a programming error...

Best Wishes
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

At the very least, CCS will let you have structures larger than 256 bytes without having to change a linker script....
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: