CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

how to connect and program LED display

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john2007

how to connect and program LED display
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:29 am     Reply with quote

Hello.

Is there any schematisc on how to connect LED display ?

In my case i want to show numbers and letters on that display and this numbers and letters should be viewable from 4 meters.

I dont know how many led's would i have to use but i guess it will be more then 300.

a.) How to connect this led board to 12F675 ( and is this possible )?
b.) How to program this on the way that i can display letters, numbers and possible images ?

John
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 am     Reply with quote

Ouch.....
Start at the beginning. There are two basic 'types' of LED display system. The first, is the classic 'seven segment' (really eight, if you have a decimal point), which is commonly used on calculators etc.. Text (somewhat distorted), and numbers, Just eight LED's to drive per digit. The second is the 'dot matrix' type display (normally 5*7 per character). On these, 35 LED's for each character. Then you have expanded versions of these, with multiples joined together. Now, if you had ten digits using this format, you'd have 350 LED's. Because of the number of connections this would involve, 'multiplexing' is used. So (typically), only one column at a time is 'lit', and the processsor scans rapidly through them, updating what is displayed. Now, using the 5*7 *10 matrix like this, would give 7 'rows', and 50 'columns' to connect. Since any possible pattern must be generatable on the 'rows', really seven separate connections for these are needed to the processor. This rather rules out really tiny chips like the 12F675, which only has five output connections. Also, assuming each column is held as a byte in the processor, 50 bytes of RAM would be needed, with no space then for anything else. Realistically, if the display is to be updated, without long delays, at least two complete memory buffers hould exist, so a chip with rather more RAM is needed.
Get the data sheet for the Maxim 6952, and 53.
Now, the number of connections, can be solved by chips like these (they only need a synchronous serial connection back to the processor, but you will need a significantly larger RAM area to cope with generating the display required.
This is going to be a relatively 'large' project, involving a lot of IC's, and a lot of code. If you want to try it as an experiment, then be prepared for quite a few _weeks of work. However if you only want to generate a display, then instead consider buying one of the off the shelf modules that does this under RS232 control. These are available generally, for less than the cost to build them 'one off'. Things like the AphaVision 'Window' display, often come up on ebay, for less than the cost of the LEDs included in them....

Best Wishes
john2007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:49 am     Reply with quote

Thank you !
Do you know where can i find schematics for such things ?

This could be the first step because i have choose to take 35 or less for each character, so i can make some test before i try with the main thing Smile
John
Ken Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Look at this site - I've used these signs on a serial link.

Pricey, but the hard work is all done, ready to go.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: