CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Large fonts for KS0108 glcd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bcox

Large fonts for KS0108 glcd
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:23 am     Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am developing a system to read and display ADC values using a KS0108 controlled glcd. I am looking for character map for numbers 0-9 that are around 40 pixels tall. I have tried using the glcd_text57 in the glcd.c drivers with a scale of 4 but the numbers look too blocky. I did find the large font that I require but the numbers are not rotated 90 degrees so I can't use the glcd_writeByte function. I am forced to display the characters pixel by pixel using the glcd_pixel which is extremely slow. I would like to find a font such that I can use code that is somewhat similar to what I have created to display an image over the entire screen (below). I am storing my character maps in program memory and am trying to get away with using the internal 8Mhz clock of the PIC16F917 chip I am using. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Code:
void glcd_image(long mempointer)
{  int j, i;
   int page = 0xB8;
   char chipsel;
   char buffer[1];
   output_low(GLCD_DI);                // Set for instruction
   glcd_writeByte(GLCD_CS1, 0x40);     // Set the column address to 0
   glcd_writeByte(GLCD_CS2, 0x40);
   glcd_writeByte(GLCD_CS1, page);     // Set the page address to 0
   glcd_writeByte(GLCD_CS2, page);
   for (j = 0; j < 8; j++, page+=1)
   {  output_low(GLCD_DI);
      glcd_writeByte(GLCD_CS1, page);
      glcd_writeByte(GLCD_CS2, page);
      for (i = 0; i < 128; i++)
      {
         if ( i < 64)
         {
            chipsel = GLCD_CS1;
         }
         else
         {
            chipsel = GLCD_CS2;
         }
         read_program_memory(mempointer, buffer, 1);
         mempointer++;
         output_high(GLCD_DI);
         glcd_writeByte(chipsel, *buffer);
      }
   }
}
treitmey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:14 am     Reply with quote

http://www.8052.com/users/bahrio/fontgen.phtml
octal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 am     Reply with quote

You can easily create your fonts using GLCD Font Creator (@site Admin: sorry I hope it will not be considered as an advertisement for my shareware here... Confused ) http://www.pocketmt.com . For rendering the big fonts you can reuse the C code from the XGLCD Lib project (sources given for another C compiler on my same own web page) and adapt the sources for CCS. It's very easy to do adaptation (I'll do it if I have enough time) since in XGLCD Lib you need only two high level functions, so you can use the CCS driver's functions:

1- One for Initialising the display (from CCS driver)
2- the glcd_writeByte function (from CCS driver)

Reuse these two functions instead of that I used in the lib and you can got the XGLCD Lib adapted to use CCS driver and you can draw BIG fonts of any size.

Regards
octal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

You have a picture on display? Post code please!
Bcox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:22 am     Reply with quote

oxFF,
The code I previously posted displays an image. I am using a 128x64 KS0108 glcd. This code displays an image that is 128x64. To create the image in C data form, I created a monochrome bitmap and then used a program called glipic from http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/Benchware/Glipic/glipic.html
I am storing the image in program memory because I do not want to use any external hardware. The input to the function is the program memory location where the picture is stored.

Octal, If you end up having the time to post that code, it would be appreciated. Thanks for the link. I will be checking out the program and code today.
Bcox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:39 am     Reply with quote

I almost forgot...I used the glcd.c driver and added this code to it. You will need to check your chip select signals for your glcd. My chip selects are low active so I needed to modify glcd.c to give an active low when writing to GLCD_CS1 or GLCD_CS2. If your cs lines are low active like on my glcd, then your picture will have the left half of the picture on the right side of the screen and visa-versa.
eduardoludgero

Site
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Maybe this site can help you:

http://www.geocities.com/dinceraydin/lcd/gfxfin.htm
octal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Bcox wrote:

Octal, If you end up having the time to post that code, it would be appreciated. Thanks for the link. I will be checking out the program and code today.

Hi,
I'll be glad to do the quick port of my XGLCD Lib to CCS compiler. The problem I'm facing is that I do not own a CCS license, and with the Demo version I can not build code with more than 2KB of data, which is a really big problem because BIG FONTS already make tables larger or near 2KB, so there will not be sufficient room for the lib code.
What I'll try to do is what I does for the other compiler I wrote the XGLCD lib for, i.e. I'll make a font with only 3 or 4 BIG chars and I'll try to develop everything with that, and once finished I'll send you (or publish) codes to do tests with full fonts tables.

I'll try to do the port this weekend.

Regards
octal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:32 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Octal. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. I spent some time the other day developing my own character set for numbers 0-9 that are 29Wx47H. I should be testing them and developing code this week to display them. I am not sure when I will get to it, I many other things on my plate this week. Thanks again!
Deep

request - XGLCDlib
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:06 am     Reply with quote

Bcox wrote:
Thanks Octal. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. I spent some time the other day developing my own character set for numbers 0-9 that are 29Wx47H. I should be testing them and developing code this week to display them. I am not sure when I will get to it, I many other things on my plate this week. Thanks again!

hey can you just share the XGLCD lib - ported for CCS C compiler?
Then it would be very useful....
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

Go to Octal's website and contact him there. His website is given in his
post.
Deepu

Request for GLCD bitmap font algorithm
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:26 am     Reply with quote

Hi PCM programmer,

I had tried different code many times, till now I was not able to display a letter in GLCD (with CCS C 4.088).
I was trying to use the fonts with 16f877a but due to the RAM limitation for 2d array I changed to 18f452. Actually I was trying to port the font algorithm code used in Michael J. Kara solution, found on 8502.com /modified for the ARM7-glcd-Demo-Project (fonts used in
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/glcd_dcf77/index.html )
I don't know other compilers, could you please help me on this ?
It would be very grateful if you can identify the requirement.

Thanks
Deep
Deepu

Re: Request for GLCD bitmap font algorithm
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

Deepu wrote:
Hi PCM programmer,

I had tried different code many times, till now I was not able to display a letter in GLCD (with CCS C 4.088).
I was trying to use the fonts with 16f877a but due to the RAM limitation for 2d array I changed to 18f452. Actually I was trying to port the font algorithm code used in Michael J. Kara solution, found on 8502.com /modified for the ARM7-glcd-Demo-Project (fonts used in
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/glcd_dcf77/index.html )
I don't know other compilers, could you please help me on this ?
It would be very grateful if you can identify the requirement.

Thanks
Deep

Thanks for no reply
guest1

GLCD Bitmap font algorithm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

You would probably receive more assistance if you posted a short, working program to show your efforts and request *help*, rather than a blanket request for someone else to do it for you. Getting angry when someone does not stop their work to do something for you is not very nice, either.
Deepu1

Re: GLCD Bitmap font algorithm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm     Reply with quote

guest1 wrote:
You would probably receive more assistance if you posted a short, working program to show your efforts and request *help*, rather than a blanket request for someone else to do it for you. Getting angry when someone does not stop their work to do something for you is not very nice, either.

Sorry, Guest1 and PCM Programmer..........
I didn't mean like that...... didn't even think....... anyway i'm sorry...
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: