CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Can anyone recommend a 10 or 12bit DAC to use with 16F876

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurquhar

Can anyone recommend a 10 or 12bit DAC to use with 16F876
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:08 pm     Reply with quote

I need to generate three 0-10v analog outputs to control some LED transformers, ie control the brightness. I am going to use a 20mhz 16F876A chip.

Can anyone recommend a nice to use DAC chip ? Question It needs atleast 10bits but 12 is better. With an I2C interface would be good so as to keep the PCB simple. Even better if its has multi channel. It don't need it to be blistering fast as I am only generating something a bit like a slow moving sine wave on the outputs, less than 5hz.

I looked in the catalog and there so many choices its hard to sort the wheat from the chaf. Confused

Neil
inservi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:24 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

The LTC1257 from Linear Technology www.linear.com look to be easy. I have some one from some year in my case but not yet used. I planed to use it for a project but this project was freezed. You need only a op amp for make 10V range.

dro.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:24 am     Reply with quote

Personally, I'd suggest the Texas chips. Your problem will be the +10v output, which will probably need you to add a buffer. Most of the SPI or I2C input chips, don't support this sort of analog output range. I have used the DAC7573 & 74, to give four 0-5v outputs, with good reliability, at quite low cost. They do at least one chip, that gives 10v outpuit, but I can't think of one of these, that ha a serial I/F.

Best Wishes
Briartek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

The MAX5812 http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3289 may do.
nurquhar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I looked at the MAX5812 with particular interest as its I2C and its simple, and comes in a nice small 6pin SOT23 package. However I could'nt find any RoSH stock. But it did lead me to find it big brother, the 4channel MAX5842, which is in stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: