CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Touchscreen basics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwhiten

Touchscreen basics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:14 am     Reply with quote

To eliminate a costly custom front panel with membrane switches I am thinking of using a touchscreen LCD on this pic project. I have written code to scan a keypad before so that is not a concern. My question is: this particular display calls out a "4-wire analog" touchscreen with active regions of top, bottom, left and right. Does this give me 4 possible "touch zones" to place "graphical buttons" in for the user or am I missing something?
Thanks.
SET

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:58 am     Reply with quote

It sounds like a resistive screen, where the x-position is one pair of wires and the y is the other. Normally you would use a touch controller IC to translate the x/y resistance changes into digital form. No reason why you couldn't use the PIC ADC to do this instead.
libor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:59 am     Reply with quote

No.
The '4-wire analog' only describes the interface, it has nothing to do with the resolution of the screen.
There are touch screen controllers with '4-wire analog' input up to a theoretical 4096 x 4096 resolution and you can also have the touch pressure value. Like this here: Touchkit. Actual resolution depends on your fingertip's diameter Smile
There are also stand-alone controller ICs for this with a SPI bus and some fancy addtional functions like battery monitoring, temperature, etc. for 2-3 USD. Like this.

You can easily write your own program in a PIC using the built-in ADCs.
Some info about the various (4-wire, 5 wire and 8 wire) resistive touchscreens' theory of operation you can find here

Last edited by libor on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
bwhiten

Touchscreen basics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:16 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. The links explain it well. More complicated than I had thought but not impossible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: