CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

General questions about serial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iw2nzm

General questions about serial
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I read a lot of thread but I still have a couple of questions. I'm using a PIC18F4520 @ 40 MHz (x4 PLL).

1) Let's consider a serial repeater. One serial link is connected to the hw uart, the other to PIN_B0/INT (rx) and PIN_C0 (tx). Both links run @ 19200 bps.
Each channel works fine if tested alone. However, I need to forward the incoming data from a port to the other and vice versa. What's the right way to do this? Keep in mind I have a PC-based software which must communicate with the peripheral via this repeater. So the link must be "transparent".

2) I have an electronic compass connected to a software UART and a remote link to the hw UART. The compass transmits data every 200 ms. Every 200 ms I should also send this and other data to the remote link. I tried to use a timer interrupt to send data on the remote link while the ext interrupt receives the compass data. But after a while it hangs-up (also using 'disable_ints' in the rs232 declaration). Please, may you provide me a sample code to manage such a situation? By the way, I can't transmit data just after received the compass data because if the compass dies no data will be transmitted anymore.

Thanks
Marco / iw2nzm
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Does your tranmission go in one direction only ?
Example :
Quote:
From Compass --> PIC --> PC

How many bytes are in the data packets coming from the compass ?
RLScott

Re: General questions about serial
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Your method should allow for the possibility that the two 19,200 Baud rates may not be exactly the same (the one from the compass and the one from your PIC). Therefore you cannot simply transmit each character that you receive on a character-by-character basis. You need to have a software buffer that can store several characters in case the receiving channel gets ahead of the transmitting channel. As long as there is a pause every 200 msec, then you will always have a chance to catch up. Figure the size of the largest continuous packet that you will receive, then multiply by the maximum fraction deviation between the two baudrates. That will give you the minimum size for your buffer. For example, if a packet is 200 bytes, and if baud rates differ by at most 2%, then you need at least 4 bytes of buffering.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
iw2nzm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am     Reply with quote

PCM programmer wrote:
Does your tranmission go in one direction only ?
Example :
Quote:
From Compass --> PIC --> PC

How many bytes are in the data packets coming from the compass ?

The compass data length is about 20 bytes.
Nope, the transmission is bidirectional. However, in the first situation I only need to forward the incoming data. In the second one, I need to acquire the compass data, send it to the PC and receive from this new commands.

Bye
Marco / iw2nzm
iw2nzm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:58 am     Reply with quote

RLScott wrote:
As long as there is a pause every 200 msec, then you will always have a chance to catch up. Figure the size of the largest continuous packet that you will receive, then multiply by the maximum fraction deviation between the two baudrates. That will give you the minimum size for your buffer. For example, if a packet is 200 bytes, and if baud rates differ by at most 2%, then you need at least 4 bytes of buffering.

The data packet length is very short: about 20 bytes. However, I don't understand why I need the buffer. If I forward byte-by-byte even if the baud rates are not exactly the same no data should be loss until the uart is able to decode incoming bits.

And I tried to buffer the entire string but it doesn't work.

Thank you!
Marco / iw2nzm
Ken Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Why not just forward the Rx data stream (through a buffer if needed) on to the PC without going *through* the pic? If only some data needs forwarded, maybe you could gate this buffer?

Otherwise, depending on what other work the pic is doing, simply copying each byte should work ok. Or just monitor the Rx pin and set/clear the Tx pin to follow it . . .

Ken
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:48 am     Reply with quote

I built a product a few years ago that had sensor A data coming in packets into port A, and out port B to a modem to a PC host. At the end of each packet the PIC added its own data, making a longer packet.

The data from A to B just passed through a gate (NAND I believe) between the ports. The PIC eavesdropped on this data and when a packet started the PIC took an A/D reading did some math and then waited to see the packet terminator go by. As soon as the terminatior passed, the PIC inserted its own data through the NAND gate.

The PIC didn't have to actually read more than a byte or two of the A data and there was no need to store or buffer anything. The PC would simply read bytes till it saw a terminator, then read a packet till the next terminator arrived. It saw the PIC data, one sample old, as being added to the FRONT of the main A data.

This was an optional add-on sensor so the PC would simply receive long packets if the option was present, or short packets if the option was missing. It sounds like your situation may be similar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

In normal mode the compass data is read, decoded, added to the packet data frame and sent to the host. When in calibration mode, the host should communicate directly with the compass. So the PIC must do both functions.

I can't use external hardware. It isn't a new design, so I must use what there is.

Bye
Marco / iw2nzm
treitmey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

The nice thing is both links are 19200
Quote:
The compass transmits data every 200 ms. Every 200 ms I should also send this and other data to the remote link.

I would use ONLY the hardware USART.

compass --> PIN_C7 (PIC) PIN_C6-->remote link
Only 1 hardware UART is needed!!(I think)
iw2nzm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

treitmey wrote:

I would use ONLY the hardware USART.

compass --> PIN_C7 (PIC) PIN_C6-->remote link
Only 1 hardware UART is needed!!(I think)

It's a great idea! But unfortunately I need to forward data to *both* direction Mad

Marco / iw2nzm
RLScott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:46 am     Reply with quote

iw2nzm wrote:

The data packet length is very short: about 20 bytes. However, I don't understand why I need the buffer. If I forward byte-by-byte even if the baud rates are not exactly the same no data should be loss until the uart is able to decode incoming bits. ..
Marco / iw2nzm

I agree. With any reasonable minor baudrate mismatch, it should be impossible for one transmitter to get more than one character ahead of the other transmitter in only 20 bytes. But you could see where it could have been a problem if you were trying to repeat 200 or more bytes.

When acting as a repeater, are you still checking the transmit buffer empty bit before loading a new character from the receiver?

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
iw2nzm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
When acting as a repeater, are you still checking the transmit buffer empty bit before loading a new character from the receiver?

Nope. I do this in the rda and ext isr:

char rcv;

rcv = fgetc(stream_A)
fputc(rcv, stream_B)

and viceversa.

Are you saying I have to check the buffer empty bit and if it isn't empty I must save the char in a buffer until the buffer will be void?

Marco / iw2nzm
RLScott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

iw2nzm wrote:
rcv = fgetc(stream_A)
fputc(rcv, stream_B)

Are you saying I have to check the buffer empty bit and if it isn't empty I must save the char in a buffer until the buffer will be void?

Marco / iw2nzm

I'm not sure what fgetc() and fputc() does, but I'll bet that fgetc() implicitly waits for the Received Full bit to be set and fputc() implicitly waits for the Transmit Buffer Empty bit to be set, so it looks like you are protected. Given the double buffering in the transmitter, you can fall behind by up to one character and still every time you come to fputc(), the Transmit Buffer Empty bit will already be set, resulting in no extra wait.

When you say that the communication fails "after a while", is the time until failure always about the same? What evidence do you have of a failure? Can you say that some expected byte got left out of the transmit stream? Dividing and conquer. Place some diagnostic code in the middle of your repeater and see which end is "failing"

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
iw2nzm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:32 am     Reply with quote

RLScott wrote:
When you say that the communication fails "after a while", is the time until failure always about the same?

No, sometimes it hangs after few seconds, others immediately.

Quote:
What evidence do you have of a failure?

I receive garbage chars, and the software on the PC doesn't recognize anymore the compass.

Quote:
Can you say that some expected byte got left out of the transmit stream? Dividing and conquer. Place some diagnostic code in the middle of your repeater and see which end is "failing"Specialties

I tried to do this, but it's quite difficult. If the data stream is only in one direction there's no problem at all. When both ports have to retransmit bytes it's not easy to monitor what's happening!

Marco / iw2nzm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: