CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Unable to Debug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuriken

Unable to Debug
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the following setup:

target PIC: 18F4620
PCWH 4.053
ICD 2.81

When I enable debugger in PICC, I can load the program, but I get errors in the verification results. I initially suspected my hardware. So I swapped cables, ICD, PIC hardware and PC, to no avail. The ICD works fine if I load *.hex files from the ICD program. Is anybody else experiencing this? I'm starting to think its a problem with the IDE. Please advise.
Ken Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:37 am     Reply with quote

I have been able to use the 4.053 debugger ok for a few parts that we use (haven't tried yours). Not much help, but seems to me it should work.

Ken
kuriken

Figured out what was wrong
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Ken,

Thanks for giving me some reassurance.

I figured out the cause of the consistent errors in verification results. It was my code size being too large, 99% the ROM limit. I made the code slightly smaller and now the debugger works.

My hypothesis is that the debugger uses some ROM, and as a result the code became too large to fit on the PIC. Can somebody knowledgeable about this let me know if my hypothesis is valid?

It was difficult to figure out, because my code compiled without errors while the debugger was enabled. Maybe the next release can fix this problem.

Cheers,
davekelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:51 am     Reply with quote

All ICD's use some resources for ROM (top end of memory), and a few bytes of RAM.

Refer to the manual/help file to find out how much.

It is a trap, however after falling into it and spending hours trying to figure out why your app doesn't work, you remember next time!

For debugging without using any resources you need a proper [costly] hardware emulator.

In my most recent project I had this same situation, I #ifdef'ed out some non-critical functions so I could debug other parts of the app.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: