CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC18F2550/4550 Built-In USB Compiler Support

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PIC18F2550/4550 Built-In USB Compiler Support
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:43 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been tasked to do a project using the PIC. Its role, will actually be quite limited... its only acting as an interface between the user (via USB) and another (non-PIC) processor (via i2c).

My idea is for the user to use hyperterm or any other serial terminal, and have the USB (connected to the PIC) look like a COM port to the windows application.

My question is, how USB-ready is the CCS compiler? My main efforts will be on the other processor, so I don't really have too much time to get wrapped up into the details of USB, so I'm looking for a compiler that will have examples (or a comprehensive library) that will make the USB portion of it seemless. Is the CCS toolset ideal for me? Would another compiler suite be better for my situation?

BTW, since my employer will be picking up the tab for the compiler itself, I'm not too worried about cost (although I was surprised by a recent quote from IAR, its an 8-BIT processor!!)

Anyways, interested in hearing anyones thoughts on this.
Thanks!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:09 am     Reply with quote

EX_USB_SERIAL, and EX_USB_SERIAL2, are complete examples, with code, to use these PICs (and others using the National USBN960x driver), as USB CDC devices. The drivers for these, are supplied as a generic CDC driver, in usb_cdc.h, which itself uses either pic18_usb.h, or usbn960x.c, which provide the physical interface layer to the USB peripheral involved. You can simply load these drivers, and use usb_cdc_putc, usb_cdc_getc, and usb_cdc_kbhit, to talk to the device. You need to add just a little 'extra', compared to talking to a serial interface (checking that the USB is initialised, connected, and enumerated), but the include file has commands for these as well. I really is very simple. Where it gets 'complex', is if you start wanting to change the nature of the USB device....

Best Wishes
delebel

windows 2k cdc driver... where to get?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Hi I'm also trying use the ex_usb_serial.c example and I think its working because my windows (2k) environment flag new found hardware but its looking for a driver " CCS RS232 DEMO"
Anyone can help me as to a source location for it?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:37 am     Reply with quote

It is not called 'CCS RS232 DEMO'. It is just a .inf file, to tell windows, how to use it's own drivers, and is called cdc_NTXP.inf (for win NT, 2K, and XP), in the same directory, as the PIC driver code. :-)

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: