CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Hysteresis in compiling?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbreheny

Hysteresis in compiling?!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have PCWH version 4.049 and I am trying to modify a piece of code I wrote for the 16F88. The strange behavior I am seeing is that I can get the same piece of code to compile or not compile depending on the history of how I modify it (or so it seems).

For example, this code complied once. Then I changed the value of one #define from 13 to 14 and it would not compile, saying that it was "Out of ROM. A segment or the program is too large." I then changed the value back to 13 and got the same error (even after doing a CLEAN).

The same thing happened with commenting out parts of the code. Earlier today, it failed to compile because of being out of ROM. So, I began commenting out sections until it compiled. I then found that I could uncomment some of those sections and still get it to compile.

I suspect that when it DOES compile, it is really not doing a proper compile because there are some sections of my code which do not work properly and there doesn't seem to be a good reason why they shouldn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sean
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Install a different version and see if you get the same problem.
Dowload and install vs. 3.249.
Jim Hearne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:45 am     Reply with quote

I seem to be getting something similar today.
I'm using v4.049 on a 16F690
Port a.5 is set as an output in the code but it wasn't working.
I started cutting the code down to a bare minium toggling the pin and all of a sudden it started working, but replacing the last remove sections pf code and it still works.
After reading your message i tried compiling with 4.033 and 4.045 and the full version of the code works with them.

Jim
GUEST1234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:25 am     Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. I found it went away when I rebooted the computer. It happens once in a while when I modify code.
sbreheny

Hysteresis in compiling?! - solved
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:58 am     Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I discovered the problem. I have been using the "Toggle Comments" option (right clicking on a line or number of lines which are selected and clicking Toggle Comments). While this works on the screen, the little disk icon (for Save) remains grayed out as if no changes happened. When I compile, it compiles the code from BEFORE I toggled the comments. I have to make some kind of other change to the code so that the system recognizes that there has been a change, save the file, and then compile.

This explains why the change in the #define had the effect it did. It was a change which the system recognized as opposed to all the other changes I was making, which were only using Toggle Comments.

So, in summary, there seems to be a bug in the IDE that Toggle Comments doesn't show up as an actual change in the code. I have reported this to CCS support.

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: