CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

how to interface usb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hadeelqasaimeh

how to interface usb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

hi

its first time to deal with USB,i need to read from and write to , i have no idea how to start?i see the libraries and examples of ccs, but still not understand
can any body help me please?
mskala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:13 am     Reply with quote

USB has a complicated spec. But you can use it with the CCS libraries without much detailed knowledge. The important thing to know is that the PIC cannot be the host, i.e. you will not be able to plug a usb thumb drive into the PIC. The libraries will allow you to easily connect your PIC to a host PC to transfer data in a number of different ways, like as a USB-RS232 bridge.
Pret

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:04 am     Reply with quote

mskala wrote:
USB has a complicated spec. But you can use it with the CCS libraries without much detailed knowledge. The important thing to know is that the PIC cannot be the host, i.e. you will not be able to plug a usb thumb drive into the PIC. The libraries will allow you to easily connect your PIC to a host PC to transfer data in a number of different ways, like as a USB-RS232 bridge.

Is there a place where it says that it cannot be a Host too? As i do remember there was a discution about how can you make it Host.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:18 am     Reply with quote

At heart, the hardware is lacking. The USB host, has a lot of extra stuff needed that is not present in the PIC at all. :(
You can work as a host, by adding another control chip. The 'classic, is the FTDI Vinculum chip, which is a complete USB host implementation in a single chip. You can talk to this using SPI, or async serial, and software is available for it to perform standard host control functions for things like storage devices.
It is potentially possible to build a firmware host, for talking to a single device, if you have complete access to the specs for this device, know it is not going to change, and it works at slow speed, but going beyond this, a hardware solution is needed.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: