CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

bootloader / SIOW "timeout while downloading"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundscu

bootloader / SIOW "timeout while downloading"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the ccs bootloader working with a PIC16F883. I suspect the code in the chip is working (it compiles ok), but the SIOW reports "timeout while downloading".

When I look at the rx and tx pins with a scope, it looks like the PC has not sent anything... it reports a timeout before trying to communicate with the target.

Using a simple teminal emulator, I've proven the hardware and com ports are working. I can send text from the chip to the PC, and from the PC keyboard to the chip.

But the SIOW download routine does not work for me. Any suggestions? :)
grasspuddle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 am     Reply with quote

when using siow, do you select 'open file' or 'download software' from the file menu?

when you said you proved it worked with the simple terminal program, did it download or did you just see the transmission in the scope?
soundscu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:51 am     Reply with quote

I was mistaken about SIOW not sending anything at all. When I use the download function, it sends the first line of the hex file, then ignores or misses the returned ACK byte, and times out.

After some further debugging, I now have a fully functional bootloader running on the PIC16F883 (which was no simple task, because the CCS write_program_memory routine doesn't work for this part and I had to write my own substitute).

Using a terminal program to upload the ASCII hex file to the target, it responds correctly to XON/XOFF for flow control on a 3-wire port, resets the chip when done and runs the new code.

But it's still no-go with SIOW.

Jim
lipeesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:46 am     Reply with quote

could you please explain how u download your application code through siow........

am using PIC18F258 device..........when using siow open file option am getting the excat nummer of acknowledgements...but application is not running......but when using download option,after oneline 'timeout in downloading message' cums..............

please advice me on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:05 am     Reply with quote

SIOW does not work for me. I got the following somewhat useless suggestion from CCS:

"You can log all events for the SIOW in a log file. Set the logging options - file name, path in the configuration tab, and enable logging in the File Tab.
You can also add time stamps to this log by selecting Time Stamp on new line in the diaplay menu under configuration tab. This will help you debug any communication issues you may be having while downloading program onto the PIC using SIOW."

I'm uploading hex files to my bootloader using CRT5 from Van Dyke Technologies -- it's a good quality terminal emulator.

Jim
lipeesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 pm     Reply with quote

what is the substitute routine you have used instead of write_program_memory?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:20 am     Reply with quote

I wrote it myself; it is not available for distribution. It meets the requirements of the PIC16F883 only.

(Note that the write_program_memory routine does work for the PIC16F887, which has a slightly different flash implementation. In my case, it wasn't an option to change processors.)

Jim
RolandAldridge

Bootloader
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

If you are using the ccs bootloader, you need to set up SIOW to use no flow control, rather than the Xon/Xoff option.

I've had the ccs bootloader working with SIOW using an 18F2525 for a while now.

Roland

SIOW to download code
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

I am trying to download software through SIOW.exe... but i get the same error: time out.

Can anyone explain the configuration settings like
baudrate,data bits,flow control etc so that i can successfully download my code...

Thank you,
Vamsi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: