CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How do you program non DIP pics?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grasspuddle

How do you program non DIP pics?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Simple question with a (hopefully) simple answer:

If I were to use SMD devices and switch from a 40pin DIP 18f452 to a 44pin TQFP, how would I program anything to it?

Any experiences on this would be very helpful.
kevcon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

Using microchip's ICD2 or CCS's ICD

I use an ICD2 for programming a 18F65J10 TQFP and it works great.
tojape

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

The simpliest way to program nonDIP processors to place a 5 or 4 pin connector on the pcb. Usually you have to make available the inCircuit programming pins, (eg. PGC,PGD plus MCLR,Vcc, GND.)
If you use a standard programmer it usually won't be sufficient to supply the whole circuit
Instead, the board should use its own power supply.
You can simply make a cable with the pcb connector on the one end and a dip socket soldered to the other end, assigning pcb connector pins to the corresponding dip pins.
Bye,
tojape

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 am     Reply with quote

I use the microengineeringlabs (melabs) USB programmer & can recommend it. It takes the form of a board with the programmer hardware & a header connector.
You can make your own in-circuit programming cable to mate the header to your own board. melabs also do a range of DIP & SMT package interfaces which are essentially the programming socket on a PCB mated to the matching header connector. You can then use the programmer alone for in-circuit use and/or buy a selection of the appropriate socket interface boards for bare device programming.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 am     Reply with quote

There are adapters such as these:
http://www.dataman.com/WebPages/Adapters/AdapterList.aspx?PC=Dataman+40Pro&AC=GP
But they are expensive $$$

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 am     Reply with quote

You don't really need a connector at all.

I use the MElabs programmer. If you have a diode to prevent trying to power the whole circuit board (or to protect 3.3V chips from 5V from programmer), you can place a .1" 5-pin header footprint on the board, unpopulated, and just adapt the programmer's pins to a flex cable with .1" pins. Place into the holes and apply slight side pressure while programming.

I've done hundreds of boards like this and never a problem.
grasspuddle

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:23 am     Reply with quote

I'll definately try melabs programmer. Serial/USB programmer with a 44pin TQFP for the 18f452 pic. I only need to program it once for the bootloader, then update it through a serial port like I usually do.

~200$ total

Thanks for the info!
rnielsen

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:45 am     Reply with quote

In the past, I've used ZIF sockets for the surface mount device and mounted it on an UV erasable eprom. I, first, drilled out the window and made sure all of the wires were disconnected. Then, I soldered wires from the ZIF to the eprom leads. It can look like a mess but it works and is much cheeper than the pre-made adapters.

Ronald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: