CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Latest Compiler v4.1 causing trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert

Latest Compiler v4.1 causing trouble
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a double controller design that was working perfectly using v3.6. I have changed to V4.1 and the design no longer functions. There is no change to the source and i can freely change back to v3.6 and have functional units.

What is not working (so far) is the LCD display. The display is shared between the 2 controllers with the master doing the initialisation. Is there are changes to the compiler associated with timing (delay_ms) or auto port direction control (input, output) or int1 bit variables as these are the only functions used.

Robert
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:30 am     Reply with quote

There is no such compiler as '4.1'. CCS version numbers are x.xxx, the current 'version 4' compiler, is 4.033.
The same applies to the number you give fo your V3 compiler. The last V3 version, was 3.249. '3.6', does not exist.
Now, the V4 compilers, were launched months before they even approached 'useability' for many projects. There are still problems, but the last few versions, are starting to work pretty well. The mid 4.02x versions, started to produce useable code for most projects, and though a few new problems have appeared, and several of the advertised V4 'features' still don't work, the early 4.03x versions, are now approaching a reasonable 'beta' status...
If you have a 4.001, or 4.01x version, then in all honesty, 'forget it', and download 3.249, or stick with the version you currently have.
With 4.03x, there are a few issues, that can prevent code that worked on the older compiler, from running. One is that pointer arithmetic, now follows correct C syntax, and adjusts by the size of the addressed object. If you use pointer arithmetic, then this could be your problem. There isalso a 'new' issue, reportd just the other day by a user, when working with really large program sizes on the latest version. Details of what is really going wrong, are 'unknown' at present, but this doesn't seem to apply to most normal sized programs.
Read the sticky thread at the top of this group, about V4 issues.

Best Wishes
robert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 am     Reply with quote

OK found the problem
V3.6 defaulted ADC port to digital
V4.1 defaults to analog

I dont see this mentioned on the mode option list

Very useful for comparability!!!!

I got the version numbers from the file name ccsc.exe in window explorer (file version 4.1.0.210) to busy to go searching for version numbers. Got 300 units to ship this week and bugs in V3 stop me from doing the required update. Hope V4 works

Robert
ckielstra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:52 am     Reply with quote

If you are in such a hurry that you don't even have time to look up the proper version number than I'm glad I'm not one of your customers. Ttelmah told you all v4 versions prior to v4.03x are crap so you are running a large risk using an unknown version 4 compiler release.

There are several ways to check your compiler version number, a method working for all compiler versions is to check the text on top of the generated list file (*.lst) for your project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: