CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Mastering the dsPIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodEmbed'

Mastering the dsPIC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am a student of electronic engineering and comp. sci. and have spent some time using PIC 16/18 MPUs.

My current knowledge level is quite high concerning PIC18s and below but I really want to get into dsPICs and don't know much about them except that they're 16-bit and presumably optimised in some way for DSP.

Being the forum for the rather excellent pic-c compiler, perhaps there might be people/someone here who can shed some light on these controllers.

Are they any good? I can read the datasheets, but I'm interested in knowing how easy they are to use and what they're best at from a users perspective.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

The best place to ask about this is on the Microchip dsPIC forums:
http://forum.microchip.com/tt.aspx?forumid=152
GoodEmbed'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Cheers for the link, PCMP.

So there's absolutely no one here who's written programs for the dsPIC?!
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 am     Reply with quote

GoodEmbed' wrote:

I have been waiting for CCS to support the dsPICs. Fortunately I am VERY patient!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:23 am     Reply with quote

This might be risky Embarassed but have you looked at http://www.mikroe.com/en/books/dspicbook/00.htm - its for Pascal but contains a lot of usefull information for all languages and I've found it usefull to start with and understand many principles.

Roger B
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

See this recent thread:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30474
GoodEmbed'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

RogerB, thanks for the tip. I've had a look at their site before but didn't notice the book.

I was rather excited to see that filter design was incorporated into Mikroe's IDE.
ultralol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug wrote:
GoodEmbed' wrote:

I have been waiting for CCS to support the dsPICs. Fortunately I am VERY patient!

Keep up the good work mate! Just wait a little longer till ccs develops dspic tool, then wait a little longer till major bugs are solved, then wait longer till minor bugs are solved at the devices.

While you wait and until the release, your nearby mate has tried microchip c30,hitech c18 and mikropascal, has decided to work on one of them, and has already tried and applied lots of dsc capabilities. And you just keep waiting.

C'mon pal, ansi c is not hard, there are a few differences, but nothing a patient man like you can master.

Smile
GoodEmbed'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

You've tried other solutions, ultralol?

I'm cool with Pascal, though I've never tried 'embedded pascal' (contrary to my what my screen name might suggest).

I just want to know what I have the power to create really cool [censored] - and the dsPIC datasheets indicate extreme coolness.

Normal PICs are just too lame for any other than arbitrary control applications.

One things though.. has anyone had a look at the oscillator section of the dsPIC33 datasheet (one sheet for whole range)?
Not simple: start with 10MHz crystal... then internally this is reduced to 5MHz... then up to 160MHz... then back down to 80MHz... finally 2 CCs per ins = 40MIPS. (AND I've missed some steps out!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: