CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

When will it be right to upgrade to 4.x from 3.249 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nurquhar

When will it be right to upgrade to 4.x from 3.249 ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:46 am     Reply with quote

Given the on-going discussions about various 4.x "features" and the fact that hardly a week goes by when I don't get a "new compiler update newsletter" email, when do we think 4.x will be stable ?

I am reluctant to leave the cosy frying pan of PCM 3.249 to find I am in a 4.x fire. The reason I ask is I have been using PCM since about the end of 2001 and its took years to arrive at 3.249. Should I wait about 3-4 years and try 4.x then ?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:56 am     Reply with quote

Do what most other people do, and have both.
At the moment, I install V4, into 'PICBeta', and have this together with half a dozen older versions installed. Each new version of V4, gets a quick test, and if I have any problems, I 'trot' back to the older releases.
In general, when 'saving' code from a project, I always make a note at the start of the source file, what compiler was used, and include it in the backup archive. This way, you know where you are, when you have to go back to a project.

Best Wishes
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:48 am     Reply with quote

The decision most likely hinges on what is in your best interest.
If v3.249 works for you then if it ain't broke then don't fix it. The upside for v4 must be in its new features and the downside is accepting the pit falls as the price of being ahead of others in using it. A v4 user appears to accept the role of an unpaid tester. The downside to v4 seems to have been very substantial in comparison to the downsides in moving from v3xxx to v3xxx+1.
I have yet to read of a productivity gain from using v4 that makes its early adoption warranted. Hopefully this year we will read about how it saved time and money but I rather expect that it will be the lack of support in v3 of newer chips that will drag us kicking and screaming into a v4 with its most reliable versions still ahead of us.
asmallri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Douglas Kennedy wrote:

I have yet to read of a productivity gain from using v4 that makes its early adoption warranted. Hopefully this year we will read about how it saved time and money but I rather expect that it will be the lack of support in v3 of newer chips that will drag us kicking and screaming into a v4 with its most reliable versions still ahead of us.

I developed an application for the PIC18F97J60. I do not want to use v4 for production code but this PIC was not supported by 3.249. Productivity = 0 for this PIC.

I developed the application sucessfully with 4.018 but the same code will not run under 4.024 as the oscillator configuration appears to be broken.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

Question

I have done a few projects on the 18FxxJ60 in V4 with no problems........
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: