CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS ICD USB OR SERIAL one ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
octal

CCS ICD USB OR SERIAL one ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,
1- I'm planning at buying the CCS ICD, but I'm a little confused. On CCS siye, the comparison between ICD2 from Microchip, ICD(RS232) and ICD(USB) shows that USB version is slower than RS232 one

Quote:

PIC16F877A
MPLAB USB ICD-2 1.36 seconds
PCW serial ICD-S40 (40Mhz) 0.16 seconds
PCW USB ICD-U40 0.24 seconds

is it correct ? if yes can we buy RS232 version ?

2- When we use CCS ICD from PCWH IDE, can we set lot of breakpoints or only one breakpoint ?

Best regards

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: CCS ICD USB OR SERIAL one ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

octal wrote:
2- When we use CCS ICD from PCWH IDE, can we set lot of breakpoints or only one breakpoint ?

There's a limited number of breakpoints available. PICs that were released more than about 1.5 years ago have only one breakpoint. More recent PICs have 4 break points. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong.)
rwyoung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:21 am     Reply with quote

I've used all three and frankly, I find myself going back to use the ICD2 from Microchip. Since I use MPLAB as my editor/environment and their debugger SW only works with the ICD2 (at least for me) I tend to use the ICD2. My current ICD2 is of the earlier generation with the FX2 USB chip. I understand the newer ICD2s are using USB enabled PICs inside.

Frankly, the programming time difference, and it never seemed that much different, is inconsequential to me. I am more interested in a seamless workflow.

For a production environment, I wouldn't use any of these three programmers as they do not have the ability to verify and different Vcc/Vdd levels (assuming the programmer is powering the circuit).

And none of the three are terribly well protected from the sort of screwups that can happen during initial developement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: