CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

What type is better Full duplex or half duplex in ENC 28J60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arunb

What type is better Full duplex or half duplex in ENC 28J60
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:37 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

What is best recommended for a 4 Mhz PIC using a ENC 28J60 , full duplex or half duplex operation ??

thanks
arunb
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Really no answer.
It is a bit like saying 'what is better, a car or a van'. The car is smaller, and possibly more convenient to park, but carries less. At 4MHz, the PIC won't really be able to keep up for long anyway.

Best Wishes
asmallri

Re: What type is better Full duplex or half duplex in ENC 28
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:08 am     Reply with quote

arunb wrote:
Hi,

What is best recommended for a 4 Mhz PIC using a ENC 28J60 , full duplex or half duplex operation ??

thanks
arunb

Half duplex. It has nothing to do with the speed of the PIC but there are a lot of devices out there that cannot do full duplex. Setting a device for 10Mbps full duplex just makes a lot of work for your support organization.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
arunb

RE: What Packet is sent first time when connecting to a PC ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

After setting up the MAC,PHY layesr and the buffers, what kind of packets must I send to the PC or receive from it, when the PC is configured as a DHCP client ??

thanks
arunb
asmallri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:18 am     Reply with quote

I am not sure what you mean. If you are using a crosover cable to connectthe PIC directly to the PC's Ethernet port then you cannot use a DHCP client on the PC unless you have written a DHCP Server application on the PIC.

If you mean you have a PIC connected to an Ethernet Network via a switch or a hub and the PC is configured for DHCP and some other device (usually a router) is configured as a DHCP server then the answer is "it depends"

The ENC28J60 is just an Ethernet controller. It talks at the MAC layer. If your application does not require a higher layer protocol, such as IP, then you can develop you application that transmits and receives packets at the MAC layer - you could for instance develop NETBIOS applications. If you want to be able to use an IP stack then you need to implement a stack yourself. The ENC28J60 is loosely based on the old NE2000 type Ethernet controller and you can find lots of documentation for the NE2000 on the web. Once you understand the NE2000 driver architecture it is relatively straight forward to delevep drivers for ENC28J60.

There are free examples available. CCS has a TCP/IP stack implementation for the PICENS board (uses the ENC28J60) or you could use the Microchip TCP/IP stack. Both of these stacks include the ENC28J60 drivers.

If you want examples of how to implement an application including both the PIC and PC sides then you might want to look at my site. I sell source code for example apps using either CCS or MCHP compilers.

arunb

RE:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, indeed I will consider buying source code from you, but I have already developed most of the low level drivers for the ENC28J60 controller by myself.

Although I am able to send ARP requests/responses to the PC, I find reading the receive buffer memory tough..

Can suggest any tuturials for reading the Receive buffer memory ??

thanks
arunb
asmallri

Re: RE:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:32 am     Reply with quote

arunb wrote:
Hi,

Although I am able to send ARP requests/responses to the PC, I find reading the receive buffer memory tough..

Can suggest any tuturials for reading the Receive buffer memory ??

Sorry but no. I used the NE2000 data sheets and sample drivers from National Semiconductor to develop drivers for the RealTek RTL8019AS controller and then, after studying the ENC datasheet, ported the Realtek code to the ENC controller and then to the PIC18F97J60.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: