CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Advise me how to make the Digital I/O controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyaw Kyaw

Advise me how to make the Digital I/O controller
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like to create my own I/O controller with PIC 18F4550 including with the OS interface Smile Smile Smile . Could you please advise me Which books are suitable for me to create the I/O controller board and Interface with Window XP interface? Question Question Question I also want to know about example programs in CCS with respect to the I/O controller. Thanks for your time and considerations!!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Consider RS232 signaling, USB or Ethernet for your PIC to PC interface. Of those three, RS232 will be the simplest hardware but on modern PCs, you may not have a serial port.

USB is a good compromise. Pick a PIC with a USB slave port or add a chip like the FTDI FT232.

Ethernet is also a good choice depending on what you're end application needs. If you are wanting to be more than a couple of meters away from the PC, it might be better than USB. Also (and I may be wrong) I think POE (power over ethernet) can deliver more total power to the target than USB's ~2.5W.

For your PC software development, consider Visual Basic. You can write crappy software in any language, VB lets you do it quickly. Rolling Eyes

Three good books to read on RS232 (serial ports), USB and Ethernet are Jan Axelson's books. Also Google will spit up LOTS of hits on these. Several good examples of all three in the software archive of this forum. Search this forum's general discussion area to.

Example programs for CCS, well, go back and look at the code forum.

Finally, READ the DATASHEET for your PIC. Read especially closely the assembly language section and try and write some small programs in assembly first. Download MPLAB from Microchip.com and search the net for the Elmer tutorial. Knowning the basics of PIC assembly lanugage when later debugging C code and looking at the LST file will be VERY IMPORTANT.

So, you have 30 minutes to complete you task. I suggest you get started with your reading... Twisted Evil

Enjoy

Greatfully Thanks!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi rwyoung,
Thanks for your supports. Your advices are very useful for me like New Year Gifts. I will do it as you instructed. I would like to use USB or maybe RS232 and prefer the later. I also will look through the code session. Thanks again for your supports!!

Happy New Year!!! Idea Idea Idea
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: