CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

D-to-A advise needed....

View previous topic :: View next topic  

D-to-A advise needed....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to make a serial-to-analog output device. The output will be 0 to 10V, and will not have to source much (if any) current. The output will be connected to a motor controller that requires a 0 to 10V input to command motor speed. I'm totally set with the PIC end of the project, but I'm not too experienced with the analog end of things. I'm planning on using a 12 bit D/A IC that communicates serially with the PIC. Maxim, Microchip and others all seem to have a good variety of these IC's. With a stable reference, it looks like I can get 0 to 5V out of one of these devices. Then I plan to use an op-amp to scale the voltage output up to 10V. I have +12V available to power my circuit. I do have the following questions:

1. Will the D/A output a "true" 0 to 5V?
2. If I use a rail-to-rail op-amp, will I get a "true" 0 to 10V if the op-amp is powered with 0 and +12V?
3. Can I use the -V generated by a MAX232 to power my D/A and/or my op-amp to get "true" 0V output at the bottom end?

Anyone have some specific device no.'s that they would recommend?

Thanks,

Charlie
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Can't help with the D/A converter, but my rail-to-rail opamp of choice is the TI TLV237x. True rail-rail input and output, can be powered by a single ended or +/- supply, up to 16V max between Vcc and Vee. And they're cheap.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

The output will be connected to a motor controller that requires a 0 to 10V input to command motor speed. I'm planning on using a 12 bit D/A.

A 12-bit D/A will give you 4096 steps. With a 10v range, that's about
2.5 mv per step. Do you really need this level of precision ? The noise
level on your board will probably be at least 20 mv p/p.

Also, usually motor control in a PIC project is done with PWM and
an H-Bridge circuit. Or, PWM and perhaps a single FET, if you don't
need to reverse the motor. You didn't give us any details on the
overall purpose of the project, but I wonder if you really need a
12-bit DAC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

No, you are right, I fell into the "more is better" trap. I don't need 2.5mV precision, and for that matter, probably not even 1024 step (10 bit) precision either. If I can control the final output in steps of 50mV or less, I'll be fine!

Yes, if this was a new design, I would use PWM techniques to control the motor. Unfortunately, it is a retrofit, and I simply need to replace a very expensive, and now obsolete, D/A card with the PIC and a D/A converter. Everything else (motor, speed controller, etc.) will stay the same. My requirement is driven by the analog input of the speed controller. It simply requires a 0 to 10V analog voltage for control.

Thanks!

Charlie
ckielstra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

So, an 8-bit DAC will do the job. Many of these devices exist, so in order to narrow down the search could you give some more requirements like:
- Conversion speed?
- Power consumption?
- Cost?
- Size?
- Normal or extended temperature range?
- Startup condition (always off, half-scale, full scale)?
- ROHS compliant?
- Multiple channels (for future extensions)?
- etc.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

-V from MAX232
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
3. Can I use the -V generated by a MAX232 to power my D/A and/or my op-amp to get "true" 0V output at the bottom end?

Charlie,

Yes, you can use -V from MAX232. That's a hack, but that has been done before. Here are some notes:
- Don't sink a lot of current. I don't know the exaclt limit, it's probably not specified in the datasheet.
- The output voltage is noisy. Larger caps on the MAX232 (probaly 1uF to 10uF) would reduce the noise.
- There are (obviously) the venerable 7660 charge-pump chips (e.g. ICL7660, MAX1044 and TC7660).

Happy... whatever you celebrate! Smile

Nick
SLo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

If 8 (or less) bit precision is enough and you have the flexibility in the design, then you could make your own DAC with an R-2R resistor ladder on one PIC port. All the pins of the ladder must use the same port to ensure that the changes are all latched at the ssme instant. The drive of a resistor ladder would almost certainly require a following opamp buffer stage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input! I've settled on the Maxim MAX517 rail-to-rail D/A and the TI op-amp mentioned in the 2nd reply. Digikey delivered the parts today, and I had something running in a couple of hours! I need to tweak things a bit, but it looks like this solution is going to be perfect for my needs.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: