CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB CABLE

View previous topic :: View next topic  

USB CABLE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:50 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

If I want to connect my PC to a PIC18F4550 using full-speed USB at 12Mbps. Could I build a crossover cable or a straight cable ?

thks
rberek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:13 am     Reply with quote

I don't think USB has the concept of a crossover cable. There are only 4 signals in the cable, +5V, GND and two differential data lines. There's nothing to cross over.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:20 am     Reply with quote

yes, my doubt is about crooss or not D+ and D-

thks
rberek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:31 am     Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but you use a crossover cable in RS232 because you have separate Rx and Tx lines, and because you need to cross them over when you have similar devices talking to each other (i.e. DCE to DCE).

With differential signaling, crossing the signals over doesn't really accomplish anything other than inverting the signal (correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking on the fly here).

In USB, who is talking and who is receiving is determined by the USB protocol, not by the physical layer (i.e. the cable wiring).

But as I said, I'm no USB expert. In short, you wouldn't have to cross anything over.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Dead right.
This is why USB, has the two different plugs. Basically, the type A 'flat' plug, always goes towards the master device. The cable is always straight through. There is no such thing as a USB crossover cable. The units that allow two masters to connect to one another, actually have two slave units inside them, and the 'crossover', is done between these, not on the USB interface itself.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: