CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How to stop the compiler initializing BSR of HP Interrupts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asmallri

How to stop the compiler initializing BSR of HP Interrupts?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:03 am     Reply with quote

How do I prevent PCH 3.249 from inserting a MOVLB instruction at the start of the HP interrupr handler? The 18F family have a common problem with fast return stack corruption which I handle inside the HP handler but before it gets there the CCS code has already modified the BSR register.

I tried keeping the #device HIGH_INTS=TRUE but not decaling my HP handler to the compiler so I could put my own startup code in place but the compiler then assumes it does not need to use priority interrupts (despite the declaration above) and sticks the low priority code at 0x0008

Code:

0000:  GOTO   4AB0
0008:  MOVLB  0            <---- PROBLEM
000A:  GOTO   1426
000E:  NOP   
0010:  NOP   
0012:  NOP   
0014:  NOP   
0016:  NOP   
0018:  MOVWF  05
001A:  MOVFF  FD8,06

I have my own work around but it is pretty ugly having to place handlers at specific locations in memory and using build to move the CCS interrupt startup code out of the way etc. Hopefully these is a better way.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:46 am     Reply with quote

Have a look at the thread 'Using "FAST" interrupt on PIC18'.
The BSR change, was a 'bodge' added at about 3.237, because the compiler was assuming in some routines that the BSR had already been set. It fixed the problem, but added a one instruction overhead if not needed. There is a bodge solution in this thead, which doesn't quite work as shown, but can be fairly simply modified to work.

Best Wishes
asmallri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:18 am     Reply with quote

Trouble is I am using fast and the bodge fix makes it worse because there is no way around it to address the fast return problem on a large number of 18F series PICs. This is a real problem.

Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:23 am     Reply with quote

I don't quite understand what you mean by the 'bodge fix makes it worse'. All the bodge fix does is relocate the interrupt handlers 'down' by the required amount, so that the extra instruction does not get called.
The problem with it, is that to make it work, you have to use your own 'int_global' handler, for the normal interrupts,and add the extra instruction to this (since the relocation affects both the high priority, and low priority handlers), and the address needed, is 6, not 7 as given in the thread. However it allows the extra instruction to be avoided with no problem.
I still though, suggest my other solution mentioned earlier, of just using #ROM, to place the rght byte sequence at address 8. This works fine for me.

Best Wishes
asmallri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:44 am     Reply with quote

The problem with the fix is that it corrects the high ISR and breaks the low ISR. There is no additional MOVLB at the start of the low BSR.

Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Which is why you have to use your own int_global handler. Just add a dummy instruction at the start of this, and you are away.

Best Wishes
asmallri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Duh! Thanks,

treitmey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I'm a little slow on the draw this morning. Did he mean to "add an instruction" and the instruction is a jump which is the "global handler" and this jumps to the ISRs???

I just want to understand. Smile
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 am     Reply with quote

You add a dummy instruction to the start of the int_lobal handler (can just be a NOP). Then you tell the compiler to locate the interrupt handlers one instruction below the normal starting address.

#build (interrupt=0x6)

Then the new int_global handler gets placed at address 0x16, and the high priority handler gets placed at 0x6. The hardware interrupt call, takes place to address 8, and 0x18, _skipping_ the unwanted instruction in the high priority handler, and also skipping the dummy instruction in the int_global handler.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: