CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

wake up through external interrupt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
info@ckmintech.com

wake up through external interrupt
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:51 am     Reply with quote

We need to wake up a PIC when it is very close to a RFID 125KHz reader. We meaured the voltage generated by the coil is as littler as 0.15V.

Is it sufficient to serve as L-to-H external interrupt to wake up a PIC?
jecottrell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Why not use an op amp to bring the voltage up to the required logic level high of the chip/Vdd that you are using?
info@ckmintech.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:19 am     Reply with quote

The device cannot use more then 3 uA current. The deisign is now using 1.8 uA (< 3uA) when sleeping. If I use a opAmp in standby mode, the current must be far much higher than the requirement.
jecottrell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhh......

OK. Are youusing a PIC with a comparator? If so, there may be a way to use a 0V ref and your input. One of the pros might be better able to say whether it's possible. I use a scheme in one project where I set a ref value and bring it out on one pin and then feed it back into the comparator on another. (I didn't come up with the idea, a consultant that I use did.... and it works pretty slick.) The problem is that you're going to start using current by turning on peripherals (comparator), so it may not meet your needs.

So we get back to your original question:

Quote:
Is it (0.15V) sufficient to serve as L-to-H external interrupt to wake up a PIC?

It obviously doesn't meet the speck of the V logic high of the chip, so even if you tested it and it did work, it wouldn't guarantee any reliability.

Hopefully my inexperienced ramblings will spur one of the pros into weighing in.... it usually does.

Good luck,

John
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:00 am     Reply with quote

I'm afraid you are stuffed.
0.15v, is not even out of the 'low' state specification for the PIC, left alone enough to be seen as high. You _need_ to either amplify it, or use a comparator. Unfortunately the comparator module itself, typically draws more than you have available, as does the internal voltage reference.
The voltage is so low, that you cannot easily use a FET as a simple amplifier, without significant extra parts, and probably power consumption...
Even a low power voltage detector (such as the EM6353), draws 3uA, and needs a minimum of 1.3v.
However some questions do come to mind. What about a larger coil?. Is this the output just of the coil, or have you got tuning components present?. If not, adding a capacitor, and tuning the circuit to 125KHz, can give vastly more output.

Best Wishes
treitmey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Just as a side note: How did you come to 3uA spec?
That is soooo tiny.
shalt

3uA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Well, if you need to use something consuming more than 3uA for a short time then you can charge a capacitor in long time until you need to use your opamp, then you can use the opamp with supplying from the capacitor.

just a view . of course if possible for your application.

Shalt
libor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:34 am     Reply with quote

In a tipical RFID application you don't really need RFID-field sensing at a 100% duty cycle.
I suggest to wake up the PIC every e.g 100-500 ms (depends on the application) using a low power real-time clock IC sending a normal CMOS level alarm edge every 100-500 ms into the PIC. (there are RTC IC's running at tipical 0.5uA, but the PIC's low power external oscillator can do the same running at 32768Hz, this also takes very low current, 2-3uA tipical)

Waking up only for some ms time you can power on the comparator (on-board or an external one) using the PIC as a power supply and check for the RFID field with the PIC running at full power, then you put the PIC to sleep again if no RFID signal is present, so no activity is needed.
With an arbitrary duty cycle (RTC wake-up frequency) you can bring down the average current consumption anywhere between the sleeping current and the full-power running state.

I would also think about another solution: not waking up the PIC itself with the RTC, but rather power on only the comparator IC somehow using the RTC IC's periodical alarm pin. (maybe the RTC's alarm pin can serve as a power supply for the comparator IC, - depends on the alarm pulse-length and the comparator power-on delay, but there may be some false signals powering on the comparator...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: