CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

32 bit integer divsion to float

View previous topic :: View next topic  

32 bit integer divsion to float
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:51 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to divide a 32 bit int by a larger 32 bit int. i want the resulting answer stored as a float. it will always be less than 1. Im not sure how to achieve this. I have read on the forum you need to typecast an int to force float division but this is not an option as my 32 bit number will be too large to be stored as a float.

Any help greatly appreciated! Very Happy
Thanks!
Karl
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:23 am     Reply with quote

You need to perform the division using floats, or the fractional component will be lost.
For instance:

float_val=int1/int2;

This performs an integer division, so the result, though converted to a float, will already have lost the fractional part. Instead:

float_val=(float)int1/int2;

This changes 'int1', into a float data type, _before_ division. Hence floating point division is used, and the fractional part will be preserved. Downside, is that the arithmetic will take longer.

Best Wishes
Karl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:49 am     Reply with quote

Hi Ttelmah,

Thanks for your quick reply.

But if my int is a 32 bit int, can this be converted into a 32 bit float? Wont the value be too large to be represented by a float data type?

Thanks,
Karl
jma_1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:50 am     Reply with quote

You can readily determine this yourself. Data types have constants associated with it (min, max, radix, etc). Look in 'float.h' -> DBL_MAX. Compare 2^32 with the value from float.h. Alternatively, write a quick test. Place your largest possible int32 value you are interested in, perform your calculation, display the results.

Cheers,
JMA
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

Any 32bit integer can convert to a float, _but_ you will only have 24bits of accuracy in the result. A 32bit integer, can hold a value up to 4294967295, and still have a resolution of '1'. With a 32bit float, only the first 6.5 digits will be resolved (the values will step in effectively 512 count steps at this size).

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: