CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Programmable Constant Current Source

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrpicing

Programmable Constant Current Source
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am     Reply with quote

Smile
I need a 10-Bit programmable constant current source 0~1mA range(Single or Multiple Output).
I want to interface it with PIC16F877A. But i faild to find any current source completing my requirment Sad . Can any body tell me any part number
or any hint about it? Thnaks.
jma_1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:54 am     Reply with quote

Greetings,

A 10 bit 0-1 mA current source is an interesting animal. Why only 0 - 1 mA? I cannot think of anything which would require the resolution you are talking about (1 uA). You might be better off purchasing a programmable power supply with the necessary resolution and controlling it with a PIC.

How are you going to measure the current to verify the accuracy? Does the application need a linear response?

A link to an example of a programmable current source (0-20 mA) is listed below. The programmable 'feature' is using a digital potentiometer.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/10115/10115.html

Another implementation using a digital pot

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/3464

You might try playing with a 'Howland' constant current source. This is simple enough to build, but your requirement of 0-1mA makes the circuit very interesting.
asmallri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

jma_1 wrote:
Greetings,

A 10 bit 0-1 mA current source is an interesting animal. Why only 0 - 1 mA? I cannot think of anything which would require the resolution you are talking about (1 uA).

Sensor excitation, such as for RTD sensors, is an example where a programmable current source is required. 1mA is at the upper end of excitation current that would be used with this type of sensor because of senor self heating.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
jma_1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you asmallri. I have not had the pleasure of using an RTD sensor in a design yet.

Cheers,
JMA

P.S. Is it almost time for the 'Royal Show' in Perth? :-)
Charlie U

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Do a google search for the "Howland Circuit". It is a simple voltage to current converter. There are several variants available, so just pick one that you like and experiment a bit with it. Once you have the current converter working, you could drive it from the micro with either a filtered PWM output or a DAC.
mrpicing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

aoa.
Thanks every body for ur kind responce Smile . Basiclly i need a 8-channel programmable current source. Its resulotion may be greater than 10bits.
Its range is 0 to 1mA or nearest.

I need it to simulate 8 temperature sensors (each 1uA/Kalvin). I need very precise current source. i want to avoid to build complex circuit Confused .

now i'll try ur suggessions & links. Thanks.
Hav a nice day.
Kenny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:52 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like you are using a temperature sensor like the AD592. The output current depends on the temperature, but is independent of the supply voltage (as long as there is enough 'overhead').

At some stage you must be converting the current to a voltage with a resistor, so your project then would be to simulate this voltage. For example use the pic to set a dac output to a precise resistive divider, then a low output-offset buffer op. amp.

The slope of 1uA/deg K is very accurate on the AD592, but the initial error without trimming can be a couple of degrees.

Last edited by Kenny on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrpicing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:43 am     Reply with quote

aoa. Yes u r right. a resistor is being used as current to voltage converter but if resistor get faulty then the system will work ok. and i can't under stand that any thing is wrong. that's why i decided to use current source to avoid this.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: